AT&T Activation issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WolfSnap, Sep 25, 2015.

1. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

I just received my pre-ordered from Apple, full price AT&T phone. It had me do the whole, "is this your phone number" thingy, but I'm still not getting service on the new phone..

Does anyone know if AT&T's activation servers are just overwhelmed? or..?

2. BmoreClutch macrumors newbie

It says at the end of the activation process that it could take up to 2 hours because of the amount of devices being activated today.

3. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oddly, my wife's iPhone 6s Plus activated within minutes....

4. flyingturtle macrumors regular

Just restart your iPhone.

I activated my new iPhone online via the AT&T website and after i completed the process, I got the warning it may take 24 hours to complete.

About 15 minutes went by and still no AT&T signal on my iPhone. I googled and found some posts saying a simple iPhone restart should connect your iPhone to AT&T. And it worked. I saw signal from AT&T and a text message that my line was ported in (I was porting in a number from Verizon, too).

If you don't know how to restart your phone, here's on how to do it:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

How to restart
    1. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears.
    2. Drag the slider to turn your device completely off.
    3. After the device turns off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button again until you see the Apple logo.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

With maybe over a MILLION freakin phones trying to active in one day. Really. Maybe some of YOU FOLKS need to get a class in computer stuff.

Mine took 5 attempts over a half hour, but it finally got there.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Mine is still sitting in Best Buy, att tech support was unable to activate it. Going back tomorrow to cancel the sale.

7. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

My AT&T phone activated very fast, but that may be because I got my phone before most people in this area.

8. Streetmagus22 macrumors newbie

Anyone else having issues right now? I backed up my new phone to my 5S backup, and went through setting up the phone, touch ID, wifi, siri, etc. Still, the top left says 'NO SERVICE'.

9. d.steve macrumors regular

Try going to www.att.com/activations and follow along there

10. Streetmagus22 macrumors newbie

Did some googling, this was what fixed it. I guess, I should read the packaging materials before I use the Phone! AT&T had instructions there. First time ordering through AT&T, I don't remember doing this with an Apple pre-order. Thanks!

11. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

OMG... AT&T managed to get two device activations mixed up.. My wife got MY phone number... I got NO Service. Holy man.. This is messed up!

12. joecartoon22 macrumors member

i am still running into issues activating my phone. just checking to see if i am the only one

13. mdawid macrumors regular

mdawid

I have to say, I had no issues activating my phone. Took just a few minutes.

14. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went to AT&T and got two new sims.. Seriously, how hard is it to not screw up an activation??

15. xienze macrumors newbie

I dunno how many people here are upgrading from another iPhone but doing the SIM swap before turning on the device worked great. Took maybe 5 seconds before the phone had a signal and was all systems go.

16. aneftp macrumors 68040

That's what I did.

I ordered full price iPhone with my nephew line from Apple because appLe wouldn't let me order to phones with the same line. Since I am in Florida and my nephew is in California. I didn't want to disable his SIM card and force him to have a visit to att store.

So I put my already activated att Nano sim into the new iPhone even though it has his phone number. It forced it to go to last four ssn and billing zip code screen for verification. I verified and said it could take up to 2 hours. But my att sim worked within 20-30 seconds.

Best of all my Verizon nano sim (I have both Verizon and att service) works flawless in att iPhone 6S plus. So att iPhone 6S is the universal iPhone to get this year if u have it unlocked