Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSponge81

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
Wondering why everyone, at least most here, is surprised this is happening.
This will happen no matter how much AT&T, Verizon and Sprint prepare for the influx of account activations. This is all normal. Everyone needs to wait about a day or two, then it will activate just fine. OR, you can keep trying, but please, dont complain !

I have my new iPhone 4S waiting for me at home. I will wait and not get frustrated. Grow up guys.

Tell that to all the Blackberry users who expected their services to work without long interruptions: please see cnet's article "RIM, you're dead to me now." See the fallout from Sony's PSN network fail. See Netflix subscriber lashout for having their expectations betrayed.

This isn't about patience or needing to grow up. This is about using a service and a device, both for which Apple and ATT&T have already been paid.

MiamiApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Makes sense ?

If these phones were free, we would have less of a reason to complain. However, we are paying OUR money for them and getting locked into a contract. If you want to pay our bill and for our phone, we will stop complaining. Until then, why don't you grow up!

Ok, so "one" day, out of 730, will matter in the scheme of things.
Hmmmmmm ....

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
It happens every year! They sell hundreds of thousands of iPhones and it is the same thing every year People are activating them at the same time. The servers cannot handle it! That's what happens when you are early adapters to a new product. Get over it! Crybabies...

I've been able to do this pretty smoothly for every other iPhone. The only other time the servers have crashed like this was with the 3G. It doesn't happen every year.

Excuse us for wanting the phones we just bought to activate. I realize it's a completely irrational thought. :rolleyes:

live2innovate

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
UPS=Yey; AT&T=BooHoo

Let's here if for logistics, UPS promised me my 4S by End of Day, arrived at 11am... Hmmm 2.5 hrs later, Server Busy Can't Activate... Even as a weather reporter AT&T would have been fired!!!

brewser

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2006
Apples store site is down when I try to track my shipment. All I want to do is print out a signature release form and post it to my door. What is going on?

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Give AT&T Customers some credit...

Verizon's and Sprint's servers didn't have as many problems with pre-orders as AT&T did. Now, Verizon's and Sprint's servers are activating just fine, and AT&T's are not. Yes, we should be more patient. But what's the deal, AT&T?

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Prove your claim.
We know my claim that Apple puts a new sim in ever iPhone and that sim needs to be activated is a fact.
No matter how you cut it Apple requirement puts a massive unneeded strain on the system (upgraders)

Prime, I am upgrading from a 4 to the 4S and reused my MicroSim from the 4. I have to activate as well, it's not folks using the blank sim. I was hoping to avoid the activation but using my ip4 sim didn't do it for me. Still waiting for the servers to get their hamsters fed and running again.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
If the darn thing would just let me put in my SIM from my iPhone 4, it seems like this would/could be pretty simple.

Gary

Gary, you can use the microsim from your 4, but you'll STILL have to activate. That's where I'm stuck. I put my ip4 sim into my 4s and am still trying to activate to use the phone.

willhaynes

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Is there any sort of estimate time that activations should take? Anyone gotten an estimate from AT&T or Apple?

-Will

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Maybe if I read the iPhone and AT&T agreements, I'll be able to activate in 3 days when I'm done...

bwphoto

macrumors member
May 2, 2006
People are saying "why invest in all this tech for a one-day problem" -- well, why not rent it - for a day? This is pathetic that they still have such miserable launches. Especially after another huge presale that "smashed all expectations" and blah blah blah. Maybe the occupy wall streeters can go get up in ATTs grille.

----------

Of course I'm being reminded of Louis CK's clip from Conan a while ago... Yes, this is 100% a first world problem. "Hey look, running water that won't make me sick and kill me!":D

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Verizon's and Sprint's servers didn't have as many problems with pre-orders as AT&T did. Now, Verizon's and Sprint's servers are activating just fine, and AT&T's are not. Yes, we should be more patient. But what's the deal, AT&T?

Well, we'll have to wait and see the numbers, but maybe that's due to the fact that AT&T is activating a much larger number than Verizon and Sprint.

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
well this stinks. my 3gs has no service now cause of the move to iphone 4s, but the 4s still isnt activated!!!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Prime, I am upgrading from a 4 to the 4S and reused my MicroSim from the 4. I have to activate as well, it's not folks using the blank sim. I was hoping to avoid the activation but using my ip4 sim didn't do it for me. Still waiting for the servers to get their hamsters fed and running again.

you know that means Apple servers are pretty f-ed up as well since if you do not change you SIM AT&T server never really need to be contacted. As far as I know Apple is the only company that has gone with MicroSim which makes the problem worse. Nothing was gained by that other than making it harder to jump to other products.

Apple is a huge part of the problem with all the insane extra communication and talking to servers that is required. A failure at any one of them makes the phone useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.