AT&T and Apple both processed iPhone6 upgrade for same line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jespy526, Sep 18, 2014.

1. jespy526 macrumors newbie

I seem to be having a reasonably unique problem.

So back on 9/12at about noon I went to AT&T (through premier) and ordered and iPhone6 64gb as a contrat upgrade for line#1(estimate of 7-14 days) and a 16gb iPhone+as a contract upgrade for line#2. Original delivery estimates had iPhone6+ shipping in Nov so went back to the premier order status page and clicked the option to cancel item. It said a confirmation email would be sent. Went back to then order an iPhone6 64gb for line#2. The delivery estimate for the line#2 came back as 21-35 days. That didn't work for us as we were going to be away on vacation in that time block so we decided to cancel all orders with AT&T. Went into each individual premier order status page and clicked cancel item.

At that point we logged into Apple.com and ordered iPhone6 64gb for line#1 and iPhone6 64gb for line#2 for store pickup on 9/19.

on 9/13 I received 2 emails from AT&T saying both orders for line#2 (6+ and 6 that we had already requested be cancelled) had been cancelled due to no longer being eligible for upgrade. Quick call to AT&T to confirm reason why and they said Apple tagged the upgrade and it auto cancelled all other orders for line#2. Line#1 order was still showing in system but they said they were super backed up from the system crashing and that it would catch up at some point.

Fast forward to yesterday (9/17) I get an email from AT&T saying line#1 would be receiving iPhone 6 64gb in mail via FedEx 9/19 with tracking# attached.

Now today I just got 2 emails from Apple saying that order of iPhone6 64gb for line#1 and iPhone6 64gb for line#2 are ready for pickup at my local apple store.

How the heck did two different contract upgrades go through for line#1?!

2. blin336 macrumors newbie

Hey man, I am in exact same boat as you. Got 4 coming tomorrow...

3. kerrikins macrumors 65816

Could be that the Apple store doesn't 'upgrade' your line until you're actually in the store doing it... I don't know how it works for AT&T, though.

4. jespy526 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would think that might be the case except I ordered 2 phone for 2 lines through Apple. With the other line (my husband's phone) as soon as Apple tagged his upgrade it caused the AT&T orders for his line to auto cancel. Everyone I've talked to at Apple and AT&T said it has to be some fluke where the upgrade eligibility went through at the same time. They all said one order processing should have caused the other to auto cancel.

5. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I originally placed my order through AT&T before the Apple store launched (it was 3am and I needed to go to sleep!) but then placed a second order through Apple in the morning (because Apple lets you change the shipping address, AT&T does not).

Both went through. I tried to call AT&T to cancel my order but they were so backed up that I couldn't get through to them. I eventually called and canceled a couple days later. It seemed like had I not canceled I would have received two phones.