AT&T and Apple Watch CON

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by CockneyUSA, Apr 21, 2019.

1. CockneyUSA macrumors newbie

Don't buy a Cellular Apple Watch and use it with AT&T. You are told it will add $10+tax per month. It costs $100 for the cellular option on the watch AND THEN it changes your plan to multi-line. This adds $35 per month on top of the $10 per month for the watch plan. So you pay an EXTRA $45 per month PLUS tax. This doesn't include activation fees and all the other crap they add.

AT&T tell me it's the same on Verizon etc.

2. Disneymom2003 macrumors member

Disneymom2003

I never heard this before. I am on Verizion and haven’t activated my watch because I am never without my phone and don’t want the added cost. I do know they give your watch it own number but I thought it was linked to your phone number. This is interesting to say the least.

3. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

I had my AW tied to AT&T, and what they do, is give the watch it's unique phone number, but "Call Forward" from the phone to the watch, and from the watch to the phone. This is about $12-15 a month for this ability, and I decided that after two months, it just wasn't worth it for me. I used the data about 100k in 2 months, and the real reason I had for getting the LTE version is for the emergency calling, it doesn't require a connection to any network, it's US Law that ability is with any device with phone capabilities, doesn't have to be connected.

4. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

All the carriers are like this with the watch.

In the case of ATT, they are not hiding anything. If you go to the ATT Apple Watch page, they spell out which plans are eligible. The old grandfathered unlimited plan was never eligible, however, if one wanted to spend hours on the phone, some folks have had success in keep the old plan and adding the watch, but was long and painful task.

https://www.att.com/brand/apple/watch.html

Attached Files:

5. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I pay 8.50 per month on Verizon. Military discount. But, as mentioned, you need certain plans to not pay the higher billing.

6. JWGold macrumors member

JWGold

I’m on AT&T and $10+tax is exactly what I pay for the Apple Watch. Then again, I already had a shared plan, so this is just another device added to that plan. I suspect your plan that you were on is what caused your issue.

7. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I've had AT&T since cellular was available. It has always been $10+tax. If you're getting charged $35 like another phone line you need to call them back and have them fix their error. They'll probably refund you the charges.

8. jaymc macrumors 6502

jaymc

Not true for T-Mobile ... they charge $10 extra ... only.

As a side note ... I've been with multiple carriers over the years, and AT&T has been the worse. Was with T-Mobile up until the iPhone came out and it was exclusively with AT&T, but as soon as it was able to go to another carrier I went (to Verizon.) Was with Verizon for about 3 versions of iPhones until T-Mobile offered the best deal with the 6+ and have been with them ever since.

9. SRLMJ23, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019

SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

I have AT&T and also pay $10+Tax, but I also have a mobile share advantage plan. So I have my iPhones, AW, and iPad Pro.

I would call and see if there was a mistake made on your account, or anything that you can work out with AT&T? I have always had excellent customer service with AT&T, however, I know other people say it is horrible....good luck!

:apple:

10. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

I added an apple watch to my 4 iPhones and iPad on my AT&T plan and it added $10 plus fees, or about $14.68. Makes me feel safe and connected when I go running without the phone. The Glock 26 just makes me feel safer....... :cool:

11. mguzzi macrumors regular

I just added cellular to my watch. I am outside a lot and I got my iPhone X wet, so much for water resistance IPX67. I had to pay for a replacement. So it will be cheaper, and safer for me to have Cellular on my Watch and keep my iPhone safe in the house.