AT&T and AppleCare+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jackie1998, Oct 7, 2011.

1. jackie1998 macrumors newbie

Really wanted to order straight from apple to get AppleCare+ with my iphones, but had to give up after two hours and ended up ordering the phones straight from AT&T. There was no option to add AppleCare+ online, and I'm wondering if anyone else who experienced this frustration has figured anything out about whether it will be possible to add AppleCare+ later. I know it says it has to be purchased at the same time as the phone, but does anyone know if adding it before you activate will still work?

2. bk3318 macrumors newbie

I was wondering the same..I could not find an option to purchase applecare+ as well

3. disarticulate macrumors regular

You'll have until 10/14/2012 to purchase AppleCare. Very easy to do in store or online.

4. sal macrumors 6502

with computers, you had up to a year to buy applecare(before the one year warranty expire)...I didnt know this worked differently with the iphone.

5. TBFoxRDMS macrumors newbie

On the Terms and Conditions PDF (on Apple's website) it does sneakily say you have one year to order it. I ordered through AT&T Premier and it only had the $69 Applecare, not the $99 + version. I'm hoping you can order it like any other AppleCare product via the Apple store on the 14th. With the 64GB costing $849 out of contract, I think $99 is worth it. (Plus the cost of a good case).

Traci

6. auero macrumors 65816

7. mayerkim macrumors member

Note that if you have to have service done on the phone because of an accidental handling issue (basically the plus portion of applecareplus), they will charge you $49 fee--hence, it's not free. Also, you can only do that twice in a 12 month cycle.

With that said, all regular AppleCare stuff (which is basically just extended warranty) is still free and no service charge.

8. rodavlas0623 macrumors newbie

AppleCare+

I got through the Apple mayhem over the phone and they said that we have until 10/14/2011 but we have to go into an Apple retail store so we can purchase the protection plan. They have been having problems with both AT&T and Verizon

9. disarticulate macrumors regular

WRONG WRONG WRONG. Please stop misleading others and spewing b.s. if you have no clue what you're talking about.

Read the AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions. Under Section 11 (General Terms) paragraph (x) it clearly states "You must purchase the Plan while your original iPhone is within Apple’s One Year Limited warranty. Apple is not obligated to renew this Plan. If Apple does offer a renewal, it will determine the price and terms."

Get off the bong, and please don't post about AppleCare again.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Be careful with the "WRONG WRONG WRONG"'s until you can show everyone how to order AppleCare+ on http://store.apple.com/ by itself. I'd be happy with a screencap with associated instructions so the rest of us mortals can reproduce what you achieved.

In my experience, it can only be added to a cart containing a phone; and when you delete the phone from the cart, AppleCare+ is also deleted by the system. Please show the rest of us how to buy it by itself.

After all, the T&C only really count once you've bought it...

11. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I just spoke to Apple about this after ordering from AT&T's site as a new customer and Apple says it has to bought with the new iPhone 4s. They said that you would have until the 14th to go to the Apple store and have them add it. It can't be added after the 14th.

This is ridiculous AT&T didn't have this on their site.

12. jamespa66 macrumors 6502

What are you talking about? I just bought it online from the Apple webstore stand alone, nothing else in the cart.

13. Kingpierce34 macrumors member

Hmm yea it CLEARLY states on the Apple+ care page towards the bottom :

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

Attached Files:

14. Kingpierce34 macrumors member

No clue how you did this, but I think theyll be lenient for people preordering and allow them to come into the store and purchase it up to and on the 14th, as earlier stated. But it's been clearly stated on websites and Apple's own website that Apple+ Care must be purchased with the new iPhone 4S, not within the year like regular Applecare.

15. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Well AT&T said they are NOT offering the new Apple Care + which I find complete BS. And as I said in my above post, Apple said on the day you get the iPhone 4S (the 14th) you would need to take it to an Apple store and have them add it for you.

Well to bad the nearest Apple store is 2 hours away from me.

16. O and A macrumors regular

Just so everyone in this thread calms down. I just called apple and you cannot buy it seperately. That is what i was told on the phone.

17. auero macrumors 65816

You must be blind and unable to comprehend the english language. Or perhaps you're the one on "the bong"...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575

Clearly its stated on the Applecare+ product page with information on when it must be purchased. Regardless of what the terms say, you cannot purchase it separately on the Apple's website at this time. Yes Apple may make an exception but at this point it clearly states:

Next time be a little more mature with your comment instead of making assumptions about someone and making yourself look like a fool.

18. rkahl macrumors 65816

Well if they tell you this, then just return your iPhone within your 14 days and just re-purchase it with AppleCare+ and tell them how to make their job more efficiently. Remind them that Steve Jobs would not have done it this way!

19. disarticulate macrumors regular

I'm very proud that you could read those two sentences from the screen cap, but they are pretty vague. That's why you need to get off the couch and read the "Terms and Conditions" that was linked.... But I don't expect you to .... so herrrreeee ya go.

[​IMG]

Purchasing AppleCare+ is easily done via 1-800-MY-APPLE (800-692-7753). They will verify that your product is still under warranty and then help you proceed with the purchase.

20. Steve28 macrumors member

You guys realize "AppleCare" and "AppleCare+" are two separate things, right?

AppleCare = Extended Warranty. THIS one you have until the original runs out.

AppleCare+ = "oops I dropped it" repair. THIS one you have to buy "at the time you purchase the phone"

Shhesh

21. Kingpierce34 macrumors member

LOL no no i did read that...and i understand you're having a hard time grasping this, but Applecare+ is a different beast all together I believe. "Terms and Conditions" are allowed to be changed, per provider, at any time, but the provider (Apple, in this case) must notify you of the change, usually 1 month ahead of time. In THIS case, they did notify you, right off the bat. Since AppleCare and AppleCare+ are very similar in terms, except for costs and one caveat, I'm sure they didn't change the "Terms and Conditions" just yet to reflect this change.

No ones trying to troll you here, bro. But you gotta accept reality here. It CLEARLY states its purpose and the new "Terms and Conditions" right on its own product page. If you buy an iPhone 4S on the 14th, you cannot walk into the store next March and buy AppleCare+ for it just because you decided you need it at the moment. It makes sense, given that they don't probably want to go through the whole process of determining your phones current physical condition before granting you this type of insurance. Purchasing the AppleCare+ along with a new iPhone 4S insures that the phone covered started out as a brand new conditioned phone.

It's all about the bottom line for the company. They need to make sure they're insuring a brand new, healthy phone. Not one with a pre-existing condition (sound familiar, Americans?)

22. Jatan macrumors newbie

Jatan

With accidental damage warranties you have to buy it at the same time so they know that the item is new and undamaged. If they let people buy it later on then there will be too many people trying to scam the warranty company (wait til they damage their phone and then buy the warranty to make a claim)

Due to the preorder system problems and people not being able to buy it from their carrier then Apple will have to let people who preordered the phone buy the warranty separately up til Oct 14th (maybe til Oct 15-16th if they want to spread out the store traffic over the weekend)

Just wait and see what Apple's response is in a few days

23. Kingpierce34 macrumors member

And why would I need to get off the couch to read the "Terms and Conditions"? LOL :)

24. Khryz macrumors 6502a

So this is confirmed possible?

If so that's good .. I'll think about this over the weekend and call before that.

25. Kingpierce34 macrumors member

LOL well I assumed everything was confirmed that this WASN'T TRUE, but this guy is dead set on the total opposite of what Apple, everyone else on this thread, and basically the whole internet is saying about the terms of this new AppleCare+