AT&T and iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I just got off the phone with a pretty technical person from AT&T who handles the iPhone and for those who may not have heard, or like me didn't know that when the 3GS comes out Friday, who ever gets one will be on the same 3G network but because of the phones capability will get to utilize the faster speeds from AT&T's network. I was under the impression before the call we all used the same network, but when I get my 3GS Friday, they said I will notice a much better speed both on web based applications and download speeds, also (not that this has happened to me) a lot less calls dropped.

I also asked about MMS come Friday and according to them, it will be available once you activate your 3GS phone.

Don't kill me for this post, just trying to relay this info whether it is accurate or not is yet to be seen, but I asked several times and spoke to two different techs and got the same form of answer but not exactly the same way.

Hopefully this will hold true :rolleyes:

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

it wont be activated friday ATT is not ready for it yet... according to wWDC

3. astrobanana macrumors regular

well this ATT representative certainly says different
    I just hope he is right

4. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

me too!

5. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

AT&T announced their plans to update their service to HSPA 7.2 and expanding their service back in May http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/27/atandt-announces-plans-for-7-2-mbps-3g-deployment/ but I don't think they would have done this in less than a month.

6. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

7. silentsal macrumors member

Now what I took from when I went into AT&T to order my 3GS is that the new 3GS will have MMS already enabled because it's a new phone and they won't have to delete anything to get the MMS to work.

However the original and 3G will have to wait until AT&T gets around to deleting all of the script. However the manager I spoke to said that it wasn't because of the script but actually because AT&T thinks so many people will start sending MMS that it will crash their towers and our waiting to have the 7.2 mbps released first.

I doubt that's why but that's what I was told. Here's to hoping that I have MMS enabled on Friday.

8. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

that would be nice if 3GS owners get MMS

9. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

It would be great it MMS was ready, I doubt it, but I will keep on hoping :)

10. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

yeah cuz they can be trusted

11. mikey28 macrumors 6502

If MMS were going to be available, ATT would have made an announcement, they wouldn't keep it as a "little surprise".

12. nicheco macrumors member

not to mention that they took out all of the ways to use either mms or tethering. the gm doesn't have a mms button. do you think they're going to change that on friday? 3g is already out. do you really think they would release it because of 3g s?

13. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I'm not so sure. MMS works for every other phone in their lineup, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T just activates it without saying anything. I also wouldn't be surprised if, due to last year's fiasco, if AT&T has full intention of supporting MMS from day one but is unwilling to "promise" it.

14. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

your probably right! i bet thats exactly what they are going to do!

15. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

So are you saying that Apple will have to release a software update first to get it to work? Like 3.01 or whatever they will call it? Is it possible that the
    3GS will have the button for MMS already on it?