Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
So I read on MR that AT&T would start unlocking iPhones that where out of contract and didn't have any outstanding balance issues. Maybe I misunderstood something because I just called AT&T's support line and the gentlemen told me that they are only do that for iPhone 3GS' and older but not the 4 or 4S.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
If it's out of contract they will, call again if you really need it unlocked.

BTW, why don't you ask this question in one of the many other threads with this topic?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
So I read on MR that AT&T would start unlocking iPhones that where out of contract and didn't have any outstanding balance issues. Maybe I misunderstood something because I just called AT&T's support line and the gentlemen told me that they are only do that for iPhone 3GS' and older but not the 4 or 4S.

Some of the reps seem to be misinformed. They're taking as "off-contract" to mean that the device has been in use for 2 years, regardless of whether or not an ETF paid or an upgrade was performed. Other reps push the unlock right through.

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks guys for the quick replies. I'll call back again hopefully to talk to someone who knows a bit more about it.

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I had more luck with the chat representatives (specifically business chat). If you're a business customer, I highly recommend going through them.

I think I eventually go through to someone related to business accounts. I gave him the IMEI number and forwarded him my receipt of purchasing the locked 4S at full price just for proof. He then told me that I should restore from iTunes and I should be good to go. Not too shabby! Once again, thanks everyone for the advice!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
AT&T chat is not available to non-subscribers

Called the 1-800 tech nr today, got a case number, same story as others, april 18th D-Day….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.