AT&T and MMS Worked Fairly Well, Considering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -aggie-, Sep 27, 2009.

1. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Being a forum, I'm sure more than a few had problems with MMS over the weekend (I've read the posts), but IMO, the MMS roll-out went fairly well. I expected much worse. Mine worked flawlessly and so did many others. I just think in this case, we can actually applaud AT&T for a job pretty well done. After this weekend, I'm sure the ones who did have problems will find their problems cleared up.

2. fazm macrumors newbie

doubt it. wont work on edge, 3g, wifi. not even 1% of the time. its never worked. i know its a setting on att's end.

3. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Did you call them? My MMS didn't work when I first installed the carrier file, so I called AT&T and within 10 minutes they had it working flawlessly.

I agree that things went much smoother than I had anticipated.

4. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Just how smoothly should deploying an established technology, that's been widely available on every network for a decade, go? Pretty smoothly I would think.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Please talk to apple for failing to deliver MMS on the orginal iPhones over 2 years ago.

6. fazm macrumors newbie

do you know what they did to fix it? id love to know. hell ill paypal ya $10 if it works

and yes ive called 5 times

7. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I'm not exactly sure, but I talked to a Customer Rep for about 2 minutes before she connected me with a Tech Support Rep who went into my account settings and said they looked right but reset them anyway (which required me restarting my iPhone and him calling me back). Then he sent me a test MMS and it worked perfectly. He told me that sometimes the settings look correct but they didn't properly update in the system itself.

I'm sorry to hear that you've already called them a few times and they've been unable to help you. Make sure you get to a Tech Support Rep because they seem to have some control over the settings on your account (and may have a better idea as to why things aren't working). Make sure they go through all the troubleshooting options that are available, one of them will work.

8. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

I was thrilled when a pic a friend with verizon sent me came through. Over 24 hours later...

9. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

It worked like a charm for me, I'm glad I never messed with the hacked ipcc files or anything, they would have just been a tease considering I couldn't convince AT&T to change my messaging plan. Regardless, I went MMS live at 10:10am PDT and have had no problem sending or receiving quickly. I think the longest one took was 20 seconds, and that was at 10:12am to my girlfriend in the other room.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

deploying MMS whould have been a breeze for ATT.
    The fact they took so long is horrible.
    This technology isn't anything new.

I also don't buy iphone users use 10x the data than other users? I have friends with BB and they are on the web just as much as I am if not more.

I think its a disservice to 1G and 2G owners not to support MMS on their phones. Why are they any different than a 2 yearold blackberry?

11. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

It's not so much the amount of data the iPhone uses as its the quantity of phones out there. It's fine that your friend uses a Blackberry, but since the launch of the iPhone, we've seen an explosion is data usage for the average user. I think I can speak for the majority of us who say that before the iPhone, I never used data on a phone. The browsers were obviously inadequate, but that's beside the point. With the iPhone came millions of users signing up and using data. Not just using data some, but a large amount. AT&T has had to invest millions into beefing up their network. It's not so much that MMS is a old technology as it is one that is going to be used on a large scale now. I never sent an MMS in my life even though my RAZR/SE phones could do it. But with my iPhone, I'm sure I'll be sending plenty of them. All things considered, AT&T has done a good job with it. They are the only provider of the iPhone in the US. If Verizon or anyone else had gotten the iPhone first, I can assure you they'd go through the same growing pains.

12. goodcow macrumors 6502a

A few things...

Sure, phones had web and MMS capabilities before, but the iPhone made mobile web browsing actually functional and easy so people use it a lot more. Same thing with MMS. Almost everyone I know rarely sends an MMS, but since Friday I've sent 100+ with my iPhone. Why? Because Apple made it dead simple and easy to do. It's about three clicks. On a Verizon phone it's 10-20 steps and a pain in the ass. The easier something is to do (web, MMS, etc.) the more it'll be utilized.

Also, I've used 7GB of data in a single month on my iPhone. So I believe it when I hear that we're straining the hell out of AT&T's network, but then I also think they should've realized this and been better prepared from the onset.

13. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

And my friend above is a prime example. Prior to the iPhone, no one would ever dream of using that amount of data. I know not everyone uses 7GB a month, but we have millions of people getting things like MMS, push updates and emails, etc that we've never had before.

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Now maybe people will stop whining about having something that I have now used a total of one time just to help someone else test it. I don't know whether half my friends have text messaging plans, let alone data plans, so I have NO desire to plug them with a photo when we have this nifty little e-mail app that will send them a message. If I do that, I know they'll get it and I know they won't be charged needlessly.

15. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Same here. No issues sending to my wife or our friend in the Bay Area. Likewise, I haven't heard of any issues from people I know. It has to be location-related.

I still think email is a much better way to go though.

16. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

MMS is easier for lots of people, though. Some older phones can't do e-mail very well. I don't really send MMS messages, but I receive a fair number of them (and now that they all come through, I'm realizing how many I've been missing out on). It's all about convenience.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

the iPhone (and its browser for example) does not compress data. Unless something has changed on the past month or two - blackberries do.

That makes a HUGE difference in the amount of data used.

Also, as others have mentioned, it's not just that the iPhone uses more data - it's the adoption rate of smart phones (esp the iPhone) which has grown exponentially. Think of how many BRAND NEW iPhone users there are since the price drop on the 3G and the debut of the 3GS.

There's nothing to "buy" - and AT&T acknowledges that their network has been strained. They aren't trying to lie about it and tell you that nothing's wrong at all. Not liking the situation is entirely different....

18. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

You started an mms thread :eek: hehehe anyway it went smoothly on my end too :)

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I can agree with the logic of the replies. If ATT was worried about bandwidth usage it seems they would be offering tiered services no just one unlimited plan.
    But then again when the 3G came out so an increase in the data plan.

Anyhow, MMS is finally here and we can all enjoy.

People recommending email for picture messaging the big difference MMS is instant (for the most part) email has to be checked (lack of push)

20. bstpierre macrumors 6502

We have three iPhones (2 G, 1 GS) and two of them updated and are working fine. The third one (refurb G) can not send or recieve MMS. Ironically, it belongs to my son and he is texting ALL the time so he would probably use it the most. I called ATT this weekend and they checked the settings, Removed messaging and re-added and had me reset and it still doen't work.

I could always email him a picture but he won't see it unless I tell him I sent him an email and he should read it. He doesn't check his email often.

To add injury to insult, he cracked his screen this weekend too.

21. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Ya. I guess Verizon's servers are slow at actually sending then, huh?:rolleyes:

Or are you saying it's because of AT&T? Fact is, you or anyone here does not know.

For the amount of iPhones packed into each square foot of space here in Miami-Dade County, all 30 or 40 of people I know that have MMS capability have not had any issues at all so far. Hope it stays that way.

22. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I think its pretty cool that I get pic messages without anyone sending them to me. Very interesting...stupid network.

23. Tilt macrumors member

samcraig hit it spot on. mms on Iphone isn't all that smooth in my perception. I've only had my iphone for 3 weeks now but on t-mobile with the blackberry when you hit sent it was gone and your ready to fire again. On the iphone you wait and wait until it's done sending. I couldn't understand why even just plain text takes so long to send. On the other hand uncompressed and conversation style texting like on the iphone are nice. I just wish it were faster. I'm on a 3g maybe I need a 3gs .... :rolleyes:

24. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

so your experience with a few friends completely discredits a large statistical study, does it?

and although it should have been there from day 1, its easy to understand why the MMS rollout could be difficult. Millions of customers all hitting your network testing out their newfound features? that can mess things up.
    plus, "2g" iPhones, which, if going by generation, are 3g iPhones, get MMS. Its sad that "1g" (2.5g) iPhones dont get it though