Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wightstraker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
"For the past fifteen years, Internet service providers have acted - to use an old cliche - as wide-open information super-highways, letting data flow uninterrupted and unimpeded between users and the Internet.

But ISPs may be about to embrace a new metaphor: traffic cop.

At a small panel discussion about digital piracy here at NBC’s booth on the Consumer Electronics Show floor, representatives from NBC, Microsoft, several digital filtering companies and telecom giant AT&T said the time was right to start filtering for copyrighted content at the network level."

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/...sps-may-be-getting-ready-to-filter/index.html

I wonder if there's any way to nip these ideas in the bud?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
not going to do much good imo. how will they determine whats allowed and whats not?

oh i know microsoft would love this, and i'm sure they have plenty of ideas and ways they want to implement it. but i just don't see how this would work.

AT&T needs to be broken up again, its gotten too big for itself.

Prelude2Tragedy

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
New Jersey
This is just one step toward censoring and regulating the internet, no matter what cloak they want to pull over the consumers eyes.

Big Corporations - 1
Personal Liberty - 0

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
this is just wrong and what is worse is they are going to charge us an extra fee for doing this filtering.

So we will have to pay for filtering even though we object to it.♠

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
This is all because the media companies are clinging to a dead business model and refuse to wake the f*** up. Sell us content at a fair price with minimal restrictions and let us watch it/listen to it on whatever device we choose and your profits will soar again. iTMS has proved there is a huge market for fair priced content, even with DRM.

Bogie

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
I would like the option at least to have it filtered. There's too many work arounds on a system side block. The option should at least be available for parents who want to protect their kids as much as possible.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
.... and as usual the clever people of the interwebs will find a way around it after corporate R&D hits $500m, and release it in an easy to use package, two days before it's implemented. :rolleyes:

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
This has already begun. Research Sandvine, which is being used by Comcast in limited areas. They use it to block BitTorrent traffic. My PC can only download- Comcast blocks us in Spokane from uploading BitTorrent traffic by constantly sending reset packets.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
This has already begun. Research Sandvine, which is being used by Comcast in limited areas. They use it to block BitTorrent traffic. My PC can only download- Comcast blocks us in Spokane from uploading BitTorrent traffic by constantly sending reset packets.

Could you explain a little bit more about how this works? I assume this is more sophisticated than just blocking ports that Bittorrent clients typically use?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If they are dumb enough to do this I really hope they lose the lawsuits that will definitely happen and reopen everything.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Could you explain a little bit more about how this works? I assume this is more sophisticated than just blocking ports that Bittorrent clients typically use?

undoubtedly some form of packet inspection at certain routing points on ISP networks. it's not that difficult to implement. you'd be freaked out if you knew how much ISPs can see anyway. i am. but then I see it first hand at work :rolleyes:

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
undoubtedly some form of packet inspection at certain routing points on ISP networks. it's not that difficult to implement. you'd be freaked out if you knew how much ISPs can see anyway. i am. but then I see it first hand at work :rolleyes:

It is freaky. Any idea if encryption would be a relevant countermeasure?

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Better yet, use some form of tunneling system like VPN... then they won't be able to distinguish "bad" packets from "good" ones...

joshwillmarth

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
Better yet, use some form of tunneling system like VPN... then they won't be able to distinguish "bad" packets from "good" ones...

Correct. Tunnel all of your traffic through an encrypted VPN and they will have no clue what you are doing.

Disclaimer: I run a VPN service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.