AT&T and T-Mobile customers should buy Verizon version

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wildonrio, Sep 10, 2014.

1. wildonrio macrumors 6502

The Verizon version is GSM unlocked and will work on AT&T, T-Mobile, and all other GSM carriers worldwide. Therefore, as long as you don't need subsidized pricing, it's a no brainer to get the Verizon version if only for the resale value alone.

This being said, I don't believe you can buy a full price Verizon version at Apple.com preorder. I believe you can get one at the store without them checking to make sure you're actually a Verizon customer, but I'm not sure there. Can anyone confirm?

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

How about if you don't plan on changing carriers you get the phone for your carrier? Leave the Verizon phone for Verizon subscribers. I doubt Apple will have more available, so you're only going to cause a massive shortage after launch and no one will be happy.

3. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

yeah its hard to fault somebody for wanting to get the most resale value with the same amount of money.

4. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I believe the T-Mobile version is also unlocked.

5. AndroidKing macrumors newbie

No one should support Verizon regardless of phone brand. Just got out from under those bloodsuckers.

6. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Go here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

There isn't a different model number for the CDMA version. To me, it looks like all the US models are the same? I.e. a T-mobile unlocked should work on Verizon, also?

7. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

People keep saying this, but where do we buy an off-contract VZW iP6? They're not on the Apple Store.

8. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

If you are on T-Mobile or AT&T and need a GSM unlocked phone, just buy the T-Mobile one.. there is no sense in buying the Verizon one because the full-price T-Mobile one is unlocked, too.

9. pragmatous, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

pragmatous macrumors 65816

Actually it's a crapy bill so never mind.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Even if the radios are active on the GSM versions (traditionally they haven't been), Verizon refuses to activate any non-Verizon devices on its network.

11. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Interesting change from the 5S if it is correct. 5S Verizon worked on any GSM but GSM (ATT/T-MO) did not work on Verizon.

12. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Agreed: I'm slowly getting off of Verizons spoiled chicken cock.

13. questionmark32 macrumors regular

It seems like the only way to get a Verizon iphone 6 at full price to ask a family member or a friend who does not have upgrade eligibility to buy the phone at full price. I checked my wife's upgrade eligibility on the apple website and it said she can not get a discount, but can purchase the phone at full price.

14. pragmatous macrumors 65816

http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech...-unlocking-bill-but-it-won-t-do-much-20140730

while it's a crappy bill the point is there that it'll be looked at in the future anyway.

Bottom line is - avoid Verizon and you'll be fine.

----------

iPhone 6 Plus
    Model A1522 (GSM)
    Model A1522 (CDMA)

It looks to me that the GSM and CDMA models are exactly the same phone. Apple appears to be getting ready to make their phones work with any carrier to be compliant with regulations that I feel is coming to have all phones unlocked for all carriers.

15. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Or buy the AT&T phone on the Next plan and unlock it when you want to sell it.

16. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I too will be jumping the ship from Big Red. Going to tmobile and use that unlimited talk text and data and join Jump so I can start upgrading annually

17. AndroidKing macrumors newbie

Dude, t-mobile unlimited is freaking amazing. So fast. Yeah there are areas outside of Dallas where it drops down in speed but so did Verizon. And on average it's actually faster then Verizon.

More importantly is the price. $80 a month for streaming youtube, netflix and CNN without worrying about data feels so free. I was stuck on a 4gb plan with Verizon during the World Cup paying $130-$140 and said enough was enough. Plus the jump program is awesome for device protection and upgrading. Even if you are a poor college student you can get a $50 or $60 plan and still unlimited internet (though throttled) and stream music without cutting into your data plan. :cool:

18. wildonrio, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

wildonrio thread starter macrumors 6502

Except the T-Mobile one won't work on Verizon but the Verizon one will work on T-Mobile.