AT&T and unlocked iphone +Verizon question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pcuz, Jun 6, 2011.

1. pcuz macrumors newbie

Folks,

If I buy an unlocked iPhone from somebody apart from AT&T will they sell me a micro sim and let me use on their network?

Just want to check before I pull the trigger?

Also is anybody using the Verizon iPhone and regularly moving between the iPhone and another device like a blackberry or a dried device? I think you dial *228 to switch. Just intrested to hear the experience you are getting.

I need to move between devices so just trying to work out what is the easiest method... Swap the sim card or the verizon route.

Thanks!

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

you cannot buy an unlocked iPhone and use it with Verizon.

Unlocked means it is GSM (uses SIM Cards), Verizon iPhones are CDMA (no SIM Cards)

There are certain devices on Verizon that are CDMA and GSM (Droid 2 Global, Incredible 2, Blackberry Bold) but they only use GSM for world roaming

3. pcuz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. Yeah I know that on Verizon there is no such thing as an unlocked Iphone and the differences of GSM vs CDMA.

So the purpose of my main questions is trying to figure out how easily it is to switch between a Verizon Iphone and another Verizon device using the *288 method regulary.

Or if I should just get an unlocked phone and use it on ATT.

4. pcuz thread starter macrumors newbie

So just to be clear I have two questions:

1)If I buy an unlocked iPhone from somebody apart from AT&T will they sell me a micro sim and let me use on their network?

2)I might get a Verizon Iphone instead. But is anybody using the Verizon iPhone and regularly moving between the iPhone and another device like a blackberry or a driod device? I think you dial *228 to switch. Just intrested to hear the experience you are getting. I think going with a GSM device with a SIM card would be easier but wanted to check with any Verizon owners.

I need to move between devices so just trying to work out what is the easiest method... Swap the sim card or go the verizon route.