AT&T and Upgrades

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by njgeek, Oct 5, 2011.

1. njgeek macrumors regular

All,

This isn't as much an AT&T question as a general SIM card question, sorry if it's in the wrong forum.

I have three lines with my AT&T family plan, all owned by me. The line my wife uses is eligible for upgrade to the 4S because it's the primary number. The line I use is not eligible.

Can I order the iPhone 4S on my wife's upgrade eligibility then activate it for my line when it comes in since they're all on the same account?

Thanks!

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Just left AT&T about this same thing with my family account. Yes you can what they will do is make your number the primary account number to get the phone then once you get it you can switch your wife's back to primary.

3. njgeek thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm...when I called AT&T they said they can't make my number the primary account number, but I can just order the phone on her number and activate it with mine.

Damn AT&T. I guess I'll have to call and talk to another representative.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Yes.

Simply use her upgrade. When you get the phone, just swap your sim in and activate.

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

All you have to do is order the upgrade on your wifes line. When phone arrives put your existing sim in it. Don't use the sim that came with it, Done.

Your wife keeps her existing phone as is and you have the new phone.

6. NeighborMike macrumors newbie

If you preorder online they will just mail you the phone, then you can set it up for whatever number you want cause you do everything yourself through the computer

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

What is the reason to make your number a primary number?

You should be able to order an upgrade on an upgrade eligible line, then when it comes in call AT&T to activate it on a different line. I did this a few months back for a family member using a different family member's upgrade eligibility.

Am I not understanding something?

8. njgeek thread starter macrumors regular

9. sullez macrumors 6502

I just called my local AT&T and they told me instore pre-orders would be shipped to a home address.

10. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

What about Unlimited Data plans?

I still have one of those unlimited data plans on my phone, and I understand they don't offer that anymore. So now I'm wondering if I upgrade to the iPhone 4s, will that mean I lose my unlimited plan and have to pick something else?

11. sullez macrumors 6502

No you don't lose your data plan. I have unlimited as well and I asked because I am switching from blackberry to iphone and they told me I would be keeping unlimited data.

12. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I'm doing this with the second line on my account. The second line is due for an upgrade so I'm just going to preorder a 4s on that line and when I get it I will just put my sim from my iPhone 4 in that phone and it should be all good.

Then the next time around my primary line will be eligible for an upgrade to the iPhone 5/4G

13. CandyCane23049 macrumors regular

Does upgrades work differently with a FAN account? This will be my first time upgrading with a FAN account so I'm just wondering do I get a discount off the phone as well when I upgrade?

14. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I had walked in the store and they said they would just do the switch. I don't know if the store makes the difference or not but it seems as everyone else has said just order off of her line and put it for yours.