AT&T and Verizon should subsidize the iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Davichi, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Davichi macrumors 6502

What I am saying is it should be considered as an option. Why would you be buying 3G iPad? To use 3G service.

So, you are paying Verizon and AT&T monthly, but they are not offering you any discount in return.

They are very selfish. Just like t-mobile is doing with Galaxy TAB, they should offer contract on iPad 3G as an option.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

not everyone wants to be on a contract, especially for two years. and not everyone wants service throughout the duration.

it's perfect for the user who wants data one month but not the next. plus, the subsidized prices i've seen don't subsidize enough to make it worthwhile.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

but they would then raise their monthly charges to cover the cost of the iPad.

4. 184550 Guest

Eh, I'm rather glad I own mine out right. If one wants to pay for the iPad over time, get an Apple or Best Buy credit card.

Plus, it sounds like it would make the whole month-to-month data option much trickier, if not impossible. I'm sure Apple, ATT and Verizon would like to keep things as simple as possible.

5. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Why would you want to be locked into a contract, when you can start and stop data anytime you want???

Is it because you just want a cheaper up front price??? $499 isn't that much for a device of the iPad's quality anyway!

Weird bro

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

If someone (or a company) plans to use data the whole time, then it makes perfect sense to take advantage of a subsidy.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The subsidy (with a one year or two year option) should always be an option. Many more people would get an iPad if it was free with a two year contract.

Then again, if Apple was smart, they would remove the 3G option entirely, and have everyone get MiFi type devices from whatever provider they wanted to use, then they wouldn't be responsible for supporting the different 3G options and if someone wished they could use 4G.

TEG

8. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

If they had to they would.

9. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

It is subsidised here in the UK with firms such as Orange and T-mobile....

Prices normally start at £199 with a 2yr data plan, think this has been dropped to £99 now with the release of the ipad 2 looming.

Apparently they will be offering the same deals with ipad 2 also.

Ill be getting a wifi only one anyway as there are so many free wifi hotspots around where i live.