Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T's 3G coverage, which has been the subject of criticism from a number of iPhone users, has seen a boost in several markets recently, as noted by a handful of press releases from the company. The most notable market seeing improvements announced in recent days is the New York City market, including Long Island and New Jersey. That region, along with the San Francisco area, has been the source of significant complaints due to the high density of iPhone users in those markets overwhelming AT&T's infrastructure at times.
The 850 MHz spectrum was deployed for 3G use at more than 1,600 cell sites in metro New York, Long Island and New Jersey. It is considered a high-quality spectrum, which generally results in better in-building coverage. While specific benefits of the additional 3G spectrum will vary by location, AT&T 3G customers should see improved quality and coverage throughout New York City, Long Island and New Jersey where 850 MHz spectrum has been deployed.
AT&T's network has primarily utilized the 1900 MHz spectrum so far, and the recent transition to 850 MHz in these markets should yield better and more consistent performance, particularly indoors.

Other markets seeing announcements of improved 850 MHz 3G coverage this week include Connecticut and Houston, and AT&T has regularly issued news releases citing coverage improvements in other markets throughout the country in the past.

Article Link: AT&T Announces 850 MHz 3G Coverage Improvements in New York City and Other Markets

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
It'd be nice if I could get bars at my house... (Seriously, no cell phone provider gets bars at my house. It's rather ridiculous.)

But it's good to hear that they are improving their network.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Well, bring it on, I guess. AT&T has never been great, but their network has been absolutely abysmal in the last 4-6 months. Over half of my iPhone 3GS calls either don't go through, get dropped, one side can't hear the other, or there's a really loud echo of my own voice. I'm not even exaggerating about that, it really is that bad, and I'm talking mostly outdoor calls and showing a good signal. The first chance I get to dump AT&T, I'm taking it, they have seriously dropped the ball on network quality. If you buy a phone, the one thing you really need it to do is make calls, and even that's a sketchy proposition on AT&T's network, not to mention all the other crap like lousy 3G coverage, limited bandwidth (banning apps like Sling Player), no tethering or MMS, etc.

metrobot

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2005
how about San Francisco, then?

that's where i live. I hate my iphone because of the cr&ppy reception. er, I mean, other than the really cr&ppy reception, I love my iphone. Wonder if there's a schedule of what cities they will roll out the improvements in.

Basically, it's great news that they are addressing this.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
Has it actually helped? Cuz my phone still drains the battery by just being on at work because of the low signal going in and out.

And the 3G network has been a total joke, it's hardly any faster than the edge network.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Yeah, AT&T's 3G coverage seems to be expanding. Now my Nokia is connecting with 3G, finally. Before, it was only EDGE. Google maps is way faster than it was on EDGE.

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
New York
every other company has bars in my house except for my iphone. i'm stuck with either 1 or 2 bars, while everyone else has almost full, and my calls get dropped like nothing.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I've been testing 3G signals a lot around the Washington DC area lately.

A lot of places give me 200-400 kbps and others give me 1,500-1,700. There's not much in between, it's usually one or the other.

I wonder if this means they've upgraded a few towers around here, but not others.

tbealmear

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Morgantown, WV
Just got it here in Morgantown, WV on Friday. Lovin it so far! The students came back last week (WVU) and AT&T in the city just came to a screeching halt. But, they turned on 3G and its LIGHT YEARS better. Now, just get MMS turned on!!!

AnthonyCM

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
YAY...oh wait, still no MMS.

When is the official last day of summer? If AT&T said MMS was coming this summer, and they don't meet their own deadline, I see a class action suit coming. Subscribers signed a contract partially based on the promise of MMS by end of summer. I, for one, will be looking for a rebate and/or termination of contract.

revjim

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
New Milford, NJ
i guess we can only hope for better coverage in the NYC area --- just today, i had four dropped calls AND received no signal in parts of Hackensack, NJ. it is improbable that AT&T's service can be so poor.

Fafafoooey

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
USA
Coverage?

They should offer some sort of way to make calls from the IPhone via your wifi connection at home, but use your minutes. This way if you don't have good coverage at home, you can use your wifi and have full signal. I know TMobile offers this on a select few handsets (the flip Blackberry) and even make it unlimited calling via wifi. I don't mind if they make you use your minutes, but the option of wifi calling should be part of the IPhone.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I've been getting great 3G in Chicago since a few months ago. I never got 3G at my house before then and there were holes in a nearby town that no longer exist.

They're working on it. They dropped the ball before but at least some improvements are being made.

axual

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
Now, only if ...

Now if ATT could just deploy 3G where I live ... they've been telling me it will be six more months for 2 years now. Competition has had 3G here for a long time. I'll be glad when ATT has iPhone competition ... it can come not too soon for me, as I pay $30 for nothing (unless you think EDGE is something).

O and A

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New York City
Sitting in midtown manhattan at my desk where I never get coverage. Guess what. STILL NO SIGNAL.

So annoying. Same thing in my apt in midtown. It says 2 bars but no text messages go out and i jut get voicemail notices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.