AT&T Announces New Limited Data Rollover Feature for Mobile Share Value Customers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Following T-Mobile's recently announced "Data Stash" program allowing customers to roll over unused data to subsequent months, AT&T today announced it will launch a similar data program later this month. The new feature will be available at no additional charge to the 50 million users on the carrier's Mobile Share Value plans.
    AT&T's new Rollover Data feature does differ in one important respect from T-Mobile's program. While T-Mobile's rollover data expires after 12 months, AT&T customers can roll over unused data for only one month, with users tapping into the rollover data only after their normal monthly allotment has been exhausted.
    AT&T will automatically enable the rollover feature on all Mobile Share Value plans starting January 25. Customers can track their rollover data using the MyAT&T mobile app [Direct Link] or on AT&T's website.

Article Link: AT&T Announces New Limited Data Rollover Feature for Mobile Share Value Customers

2. camnchar macrumors 6502

camnchar

3. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

You can only use the roll over data for one billing cycle so really it's just double the data in a 2 month span (as long as you don't use more than half the first month).

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/rollover-data.html#fbid=LSRdnFTkItG

4. whawhat macrumors 6502

T-Mobile has been fantastic for consumers. Now we just need one for the cable industry to break up that monopoly. Competition is good.

5. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

And John Jegere is laughing his ********** a** off ###

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Well, at least it's something. Not bad! I wonder if it will apply to the 30GB promo users?

7. Shadow Runner macrumors regular

It's like at&t doesn't want to implement this feature but needs to do something about T mobile. :rolleyes:

8. ZCT macrumors 6502

When are the phone companies going to stop stealing from us?

I buy 10Gb of data in a month, at a price that is far higher than in many other countries. If I use only 7Gb, they simply steal the data I paid for.

The next month I use 11Gb, and they hit me with an overage charge. Even if I only used 1Gb a month for a year, and they have stolen 108Gb from me, they will still charge me extra if I go even a Kb over on the 13th month.

It is a disgusting practice, and this move by AT&T is one step ahead of literally the least they could do.

So how about they announce they are not going to steal anymore? A fair price for a decent service, and if I pay for it, I get to keep it until I use it.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

9. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

T-Mobile has brought some great innovation and pressure to the other mobile companies. Wish we had them in Australia.

10. PlainviewUVGF macrumors 6502a

PlainviewUVGF

Should roll over for a minimum of six months. Month to month is minimal.

11. tommyboy21 macrumors member

While I commend AT&T for being the first to do something after T-Mobile made it's move, it does feel like they are still being greedy with it only rolling over for 1 month. They took a good thing, great press, and then just ruined it with that limitation. Why even do it at all then?!?

12. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Looks like I'm using ~10GB of my 30GB this month. Guess next month I'll have 50GB available. Wish the rollover extended longer, but I'll take this! It will help my slower months give me nice rollovers for the busy ones.

:apple:

13. SFO 1K macrumors newbie

Yes, you will roll over your unused data from the 30GB promo plan for the next month.

14. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

I was thinking the exact same thing!

with the above said (calling out VZW) I will say that there have been 2 times (one being the release of iOS 8 where it would drop my home wifi) that I've exceeded my data according to the VZW iPhone app and VZW has NOT hit me with an overage charge... so there may be some leniency there... I don't know.

...then again it was only be a few mb or so.

15. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

It's like they're just doing enough to advertise they have rollover but yeah, at least it's something. I expected something like this eventually but that was fast. Gotta love T-Mobile, just wish they had better coverage so I could start giving them my money.

I still miss the days of unlimited data but this combined w/ the recent double data promotion is keeping me fairly happy.

16. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Look Look....we have data rollover too!!!*
    - xoxo ATT

* Its kinda sorta not the same as TMo but we kinda sorta dont care.

17. SFO 1K macrumors newbie

Did you take advantage of the FREE offer to upgrade from 10GB to 15GB last year in fourth quarter? That would have already given you a cushion. Now that new cushion rolls over to another month. You're complaining about the cost of 10GB when in reality you could have had 50% more data for the same price and now gotten even more ability to use that data with the rollover modifier.

18. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Wow, a whole one month rollover huh? They can't even copy T-Mobile without screwing it up. So glad I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile back in 2013, stuff like this only further proves it was the right move to make.

19. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I can guarantee a meeting took place at corporate AT&T where the agenda was:

What's the least amount we can do to stay competitive?

20. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

21. BCWorld macrumors 6502

BCWorld

Who cares? Contracts for cellphones are outdated. At&t and verizon need to get with the program. :confused:

22. kensic macrumors 6502

**Beginning January 25, all new and current AT&T Mobile Share Value customers will automatically receive the Rollover Data feature at no additional cost.***

is your 30gb promo a "Mobile Share Value" plan?...check in your online billing...should be on the home page.

but I have a feeling that is it....then you're qualified.

23. apple.snapple macrumors regular

I must say this.. thank GOD for Tmobile. They are FINALLY doing what AT&T/Verizon/Sprint should have been doing for years... COMPETE and INNOVATE! And thank god the AT&T Tmobile deal fell through.

I would switch in a new york minute if it wasn't for little to no signal at my house, work, and everywhere between. I did the test drive and was extremely disappointed.

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You seriously just quoted the t-mobile commercial.

25. mdorais macrumors regular

This is pretty weak by AT&T. Oh well, I switched to T-Mobile months ago and haven't looked back.