AT&T Announces Summer Launch of New LTE Modem and Hotspot Devices

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced (via Engadget) the forthcoming launch of two new LTE-enabled wireless access devices: the USBConnect Momentum 4G and the Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G. Both devices are coming "this summer", will support LTE, HSPA+, and earlier technologies, and will offer support for Mac OS X Leopard or later.
With plug-and-play installation that takes about 60 seconds to complete on Windows computers, AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G customers can access 4G LTE speeds, where available, and when out of range have access to AT&T's nationwide HSPA+ network, delivering 4G speeds when combined with enhanced backhaul. They can also take advantage of unlimited usage on AT&T's entire national Wi-Fi network if using a post-paid data plan, and manage their connections and data usage with the preloaded AT&T Communication Manager.

The company's first 4G LTE mobile hotspot device, the AT&T Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G, allows access to 4G LTE speeds on up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices in select markets. Email, browse, download presentations and more when you're out and about - without skipping a beat no matter if you are on LTE or AT&T's nationwide HSPA+ network. With no software to install and an LCD screen to guide you, setting up AT&T Mobile Hotspot is fast and easy. Just power it up and connect your laptop using the Wi-Fi network name and security key displayed on the screen. Easily view device and connection status on the LCD, including battery status, signal strength, and data usage.
Pricing is set at $49.99 for the Momentum 4G and $69.99 for the Elevate 4G after $50 mail-in rebates and with two-year contracts.

AT&T is launching its LTE in five markets this summer: Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, and San Diego. The carrier plans to expand the network to at least 15 markets and cover 70 million Americans by the end of the year.

Article Link: AT&T Announces Summer Launch of New LTE Modem and Hotspot Devices

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
I look forward to this release. I hope that you can charge them in your car and hook them up to the usb port of a laptop.

Comment

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
If ATT is going to do LTE, one thing is certain... it is going to stink.

I am happy to have a CLEAR 4G + 3G mobile hotspot, why? cause it works. my ATT Iphone is very unreliable.

and no, just cause ATT doesn't reinvest in it's network it is no reason to approve monopolistic behavior in their proposed T-Mobile buyout.

Apple needs to approve Sprint, T-Mobile and other carriers for its products. not keep people reliant on ATT in the US.

Comment

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
Enjoy the high speed LTE while you can. It will be in the toilet come iPhone 6 in 2012 I'd imagine.

Preliminary tests have shown their network is faster than Verizon's, with them hitting over 20 MB/s. The question will be how much backhaul they have, which shouldn't be an issue at first.

Comment

RalfTheDog

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point

I am happy to have a CLEAR 4G + 3G mobile hotspot, why? cause it works. my ATT Iphone is very unreliable.

and no, just cause ATT doesn't reinvest in it's network it is no reason to approve monopolistic behavior in their proposed T-Mobile buyout.

Apple needs to approve Sprint, T-Mobile and other carriers for its products. not keep people reliant on ATT in the US.
From my experience, ATT outperforms Sprint and T-Mobile by a large margin. I get far better downloads on ATT than Sprint (Unless I luck into a Sprint 4G location.) I dread calls from my T-Mobile friends because of drops and they are always borrowing my phone when they can't get signal. I just hope ATT upgrades T-Mobile to their standards after the takeover.

Comment

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
How is this Apple news?
There was something in the first paragraph about Mac support.

It is noteworthy because unlike many other computer makers, Apple has never included cellular data hardware in their notebooks. Since there is backwards compatibility with HSPA+, this is a viable option for most U.S. Macbook users who want data on the go, not just those based in the initial LTE markets.

Comment

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
From my experience, ATT outperforms Sprint and T-Mobile by a large margin. I get far better downloads on ATT than Sprint (Unless I luck into a Sprint 4G location.) I dread calls from my T-Mobile friends because of drops and they are always borrowing my phone when they can't get signal. I just hope ATT upgrades T-Mobile to their standards after the takeover.
That is odd, I have the exact opposite experience. TMobile data is faster and many people with AT&T phones ask to borrow my T-Mobile phone, as they are out of coverage quite often when T-Mobile is doing great.

Comment

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68020
Feb 11, 2007
Unfortunately most places I go it's the quality of signal(?) that's the problem with AT&T. So many times my iphone 3GS shows full signal bars, yet I can't get any internet activity working (browser, email etc) but text and phone still work. Yes, I have tried to restart and do airplane mode to re-set the internet connection but nope that doesn't work either. My guess is that the frequency band that AT&T often uses sucks, which is why they have such problems...

I am counting down the days to switch to Verizon (or better yet Sprint) provided the iphone 5 is a dual GSM-CDMA phone!

Comment

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

toddybody said:
Ahh I love San Diego!
Same here:) Lived there for a while on Point Loma...best neighborhood on earth.

anyways, not sure what new AT&Tease modems have to do with all things Apple...

I think Arn should change the name to Social-electronics-stuff-that most of the time has to do with Mac + Rumors
better new related news than no news for those of us who check in hourly, duh? quit your whining, expand your horizons!

Comment

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
That is odd, I have the exact opposite experience. TMobile data is faster and many people with AT&T phones ask to borrow my T-Mobile phone, as they are out of coverage quite often when T-Mobile is doing great.
Same here , what good is faster downloads etc. if you can't get them consistently?

Also, while on an unlimited data plan, despite 4 bars they never let me stream anything in my neighborhood.

It always says data connection lost (4 bars, yeah right)

Most of the time Verizon is there when ATT says Searching or no signal.

Comment

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68020
Feb 11, 2007
You should have switched when Verizon had Unlimited Data.
While that would be nice, I am not a big data user at most 500mb/month. I also have unlimited on AT&T anyway. Also, waiting for the iphone 5 before I do anything

Big cellular data users are people who stream music or videos which I am not interested in doing on my cell phone. I have super fast wired internet access at home which provides that far better than any cellular technology ever could. The whole reason I got the iphone 32gb was to have more than enough storage for videos and audio when traveling.

Comment

Reason077

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2007
This fascinating for someone, I'm sure.

But, given that this is MacRumors, can we stick to Apple related news, please?!

Comment

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

AT&T is launching its LTE in five markets this summer: Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, and San Diego. The carrier plans to expand the network to at least 15 markets and cover 70 million Americans by the end of the year.

Article Link: AT&T Announces Summer Launch of New LTE Modem and Hotspot Devices
I think you meant San Antonio (as one of the launch cities) and not San Diego.

All apologies to Coder12 who was looking forward to 4G at the Sandy Eggo Zoo!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.