Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushman1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
The other night I want to get help with my phone at the apple store. They told me to got to the at&t store to get a new sim. The first store I went to tried to charge my $20 to get a new sim. I went to another and I was of course free. However the idiots at the at&t store gave me a 3G sim. Do they not know that the iphone doesn't have 3G now I have to drive 30 minutes to get a new sim card. Anyone have the same problem????

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
There isn't a special SIM for 3G phones.

AT&T's had that "3G" logo (and picture of the fireball) on all of their SIMS I've seen for some time now, regardless of if the phone can do 3G or not.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Yeah, come 3G iPhone you can probable just take the old one out and put it in the new iPhone, the software should be the same, no reason for it to not work...

punitnaker

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
However the idiots at the at&t store gave me a 3G sim. Do they not know that the iphone doesn't have 3G now I have to drive 30 minutes to get a new sim card. Anyone have the same problem????

You idiot! You gave back the only known copy of the super-secret transform-your-iphone-into-a-3G-model SIM. Those aren't supposed to be released for another month and you REFUSED IT?!

:D

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
The other night I want to get help with my phone at the apple store. They told me to got to the at&t store to get a new sim. The first store I went to tried to charge my $20 to get a new sim. I went to another and I was of course free. However the idiots at the at&t store gave me a 3G sim. Do they not know that the iphone doesn't have 3G now I have to drive 30 minutes to get a new sim card. Anyone have the same problem????

lmaoo..all new at&t sims are 3G regardless of if the phone is 3G or not..as far as you getting charged for a sim..thats weak..it should be free

buckdutter

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
And the $20 thing for the SIM cards...Indirect Stores (non corporate owned and operated) charge for SIM cards, while if you go to an AT&T corporate store, they will give it to you for free. Some are hard to tell apart, but corporate owned stores will have an "owned and operated by AT&T" sticker at their door or somewhere visible, and will come up on Google maps as AT&T, whereas indirects will have "AT&T Authorized Reseller" or something to that extent somewhere visible (or at least they are supposed to), and will come up with the Authorized Reseller on Google maps usually, or something to that extent.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
My SIM is 3G compatible, but the flash memory in my iPhone isn't. Therefore when I just need to do a simple firmware update to enable 3G, I won't be able to because of STUPID APPLE putting in the wrong kind of flash!

Worse than that! I bought some milk at the store, but it wasn't certified to use with chocolate syrup. THEY SHOULD PUT THAT ON THE LABEL!!!!

:D

Jhill27

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
i work for at&t and i know that for the last nearly 1 year they havent even produced any non 3G SIM chips

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.