AT&T are scumbags.. $600 for the iphone w/ another 2year contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aleksivic, Jun 15, 2010.

1. aleksivic macrumors member

aleksivic

So I was on a high this morning about to pre-order my the 16gb iPhone (upgrade from 3gs bought on Day 1 it was out) and they wanted to lock me into another 2 year contract and charge me $600 for the phone!!! :mad:

I bought the 3G first day and when I upgraded to the 3GS, they only charged me $300!!! And to top it off my monthly bill is around $300-$400 + iPad data :(

Is anybody else in the same boat?

2. Mosco macrumors regular

3. bahlman macrumors newbie

$3-400? what the hell are you doing wrong?

4. aleksivic thread starter macrumors member

aleksivic

I make and receive a lot of international calls.

5. aleksivic thread starter macrumors member

aleksivic

"You may select equipment at our full retail pricing...." 2nd Feb is the earliest I can upgrade.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Is your account past due? They'll quote the full price of the iPhone if it's not.

Call AT&T. Find out what the deal is

7. Super Intendo macrumors regular

Same here, we're not given a discount on the iPhone 4 because we were good customers who got the 3Gs on launch day. It totally makes sense. :rolleyes:

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You need to look into using the Internet for your international calls or don't complain. The cost of these calls is not all AT&T's doing but likely the places you are calling!

9. illutionz macrumors 65816

Maybe you need to purchase Skype Unlimited World Plan for $14 per month if the country you're calling to are in this list (landline and some mobile)
    http://buy.skype.com/paymonthly/#UnlimitedWorld

And No, you do not have to be in front of your computer to use this. Just get Skype to-go number once you sign up, dial this Skype to go number which is a US local phone number from your mobile, use the automated system, and save 200-300 bucks!

Oh also, receiving international calls will count against your total minute so it shouldn't be a problem

Winnar!

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

That doesn't mean you have to sign another 2 year contract then. The 599/699 prices are no commitment pricing.

11. hapablap macrumors newbie

I'm not fully eligible to upgrade to iphone4. I had the option of 399 and 499 prices. Anyone know if I will be able to walk into store and pick one up for the no committment 599 and 699 prices? I still have more than 1 year on contract but don't want to resign contract.

Thanks in advance!

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Has anyone found out any information on this?

I have the $600 pricing too because I bought my 3GS on the Day 1 last year. If worst comes to worse, there is an eligible phone on my contract for the $200 pricing, but still.

If I'm about to pay $600, they sure as hell aren't getting me in another contract.

13. LoganT macrumors 68020

It could be your credit. I've heard that people who have bad credit will have to pay full price up front and when they activate their phone at home or at a store they will give you money back. I'm not entirely sure.

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I got the 3GS on day 1 as well and was able to upgrade to an iPhone 4. The 3GS is headed to my mom, so I thought I'd have to upgrade her line, but sure enough I didn't.

To all you people who are WILLINGLY paying $600 for a phone, it's your own damn fault. AT&T/Apple wouldn't charge that much if there weren't fools eager to part with that much money. I know the 3GS is pretty much a worthless POS at this point, but some people may actually have to suffer with one-year-old technology.

Don't whine to us if you willingly pay the $600. You did that, not us.

15. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

How does any of this make AT&T scumbags? You're not eligible for an early upgrade. Not their fault when they are already giving thousands of others early upgrade. You can't really take into account your high bill either...that's your problem.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

AT&T and the other carriers give us hundreds of dollars of discounts up front for saying we'll stay with them for two years. I don't see how this makes them scumbags at all. I have my problems with AT&T, but on the whole the company has been pretty good to me.

17. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

This is just another one of those threads that should be locked/deleted.

18. fuzion macrumors 6502

If it makes you feel better i'm a completely out of contract iphone 3g user and have had AT&T for 9 years and had to pay the $18 upgrade fee while other people, randomly it seems, do not.

19. me2000 macrumors 6502

I think AT&T is very fair in regards to upgrades.

I've been eligible for full upgrade with upgrade fee waived since January of this year and I signed my contract September of 2008. That's a year and 3 months and they already made me eligible. Plus they made a lot more people eligible for the iPhone 4, which shouldn't have been.

I do think their service gets a bit pricey but I have no complaints. 3G is very fast and I have great coverage.

20. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Nope. I've had AT&T for 10 years and have been paying a $170 bill for 3 years for 2 iPhones now.. :(

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You signed a two year contract that subsidized the price of your 3GS, you really want to bitch?

22. Odid macrumors regular

People are whining and bitching because according to their own upgrade pricing.http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/iphone/pricing_fact_sheet_ip4.pdf Everyone should at LEAST get early iPhone pricing of $399, $499. But when going to apple or at&t to preorder, that pricing is nowhere to be found.

Then they want us to get another 2 year contract for the unsubsidized price of $699? That's crap.

23. MacKai macrumors regular

MacKai

Your base bill needs to be at least $99 dollars. $99 for voice or voice and data combined in order to be able to upgrade every 12 months. Not the money you spend for anything extra like international calling.

24. jordand321 macrumors member

I guess you missed the :rolleyes:

25. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I was supposed to get the early upgrade pricing, but did not. It took a trip back in to the core store and a conversation with the manager. I then received my early upgrade pricing and they had to manually override their system to do this and place my order.