AT&T Backorder (ordered 4:00AM 10/7)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mark081990, Oct 9, 2011.

1. mark081990 macrumors member

My phone is backordered. How the ******* did this happen? I pre-ordered the phone on October 7 at 4:00AM through AT&T because of trouble I was having on the Apple site. After all the trouble I had that night trying to order it.

BTW here is why I had trouble.. I sent my iPhone back for the "up to $200" trade in for Apple gift card on Apple's site. The phone goes to a company in CA called PowerON. They said it would take 5-7 business days to get the gift card. I sent it on October 5 assuming I'd get it by the 14th (the date I thought I'd pay for the phone.)

Obviously we know now that you pay in full during pre-order so the gift card ($180 for blk 16gb iPhone 4) was pointless. But I needed a phone to use so I activated a very old Nokia phone from X Cingular days. Apple and AT&T weren't allowing me to pre-order the phone because they recognized I have a phone that isn't a smart phone and there was some sort of block on that. Ofc course neither AT&T or Apple was answering their phones so I had to figure that one out on my own. I changed the phone from Nokia model:p.O.S. to iPhone 4 on my account.

Then was able to buy it and I did it through AT&T because at that point I had been up for 21 hours (because of getting up for school at 6:00AM on 10/6 and then watching the Yankees lose to Tigers and staying up straight through to "3:01AM" launch that didn't happen until about 45 min later. Apple's site was just too much of a headache and AT&T's was convenient and I regret it now.

Now I may be stuck with Nokia: Piece of ***** for a longer time than I thought.

THOUGHTS?

2. wentwj macrumors regular

It's my understanding this is common. ATT lists the phone as backordered because it's not available to ship today. I'm in the same boat as you, but from what I can tell from posts here, some people will insult you for not buying direct from apple, but apparently everyone who ordered from ATT last year had the same "backordered" status and still go their devices on week 1.

Still, I would be a tad less worried if the order status page did something to reassure me that I'd get my phone on the 14th...

fingers crossed...

3. mark081990 thread starter macrumors member

YOU ARE RIGHT!

I just called and blew up on the nice AT&T sales rep. She explained that it just says "back-ordered" because it isn't shipping from when the order was placed (Friday morning). She did say "yes, everyone who pre-ordered it should receive their phone on the 14th." When I said what if not that day? She replied "then the 15th or around those days."

Alright not bad.

----------

saw this. needed my own tbh. thanks though

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Cool story bro. Never heard anything like it!