Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiSFLyLaTiNa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
I'm 19 years old and I have 2 credit cards (both of which I don't use) so you can imagine my surprise when I was approved for a line of service with AT&T for the iPhone. I tried a year ago and I was asked for a $600 deposit which is why I didn't get an iPhone then.

So do you guys think they're relaxed a bit or have my two not in use credit cards given me better credit than before?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Your credit score is probably better than it was a year ago.

You should start using your credit cards.... but pay off EVERYTHING you buy when you get the bill and before it is due. Don't EVER pay the minimum or let balances carry over to the next period. EVER. Don't EVER buy anything you know you won't be able to pay off when you get the bill. EVER.

If you pay off your bill in full when you get it, it will actually help your credit score, and make things easier for you in the future.

Are you enjoying the phone? :cool:

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Surely gives good advice. I'm 20 and got two credit cards when I turned 18, so I could buy an MBP. I paid both off in full because I saved up before hand. I use one of my credit cards for almost everything and pay it off in full at the end of every month. I've probably spent thousands on that card by now. Great way to boost a credit score.

themiracle

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
You should do what I do and pay your phone bill on your credit card and then have it autopay the full amount every month. It's basically having a balance and paying it off every month. That's basically all I do with that card and it should theoretically help build my credit score in the future.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Oh yes, one more thing.

If you're going to use your credit card as I've described, you should use a credit card that has a point-gathering system (hopefully one without an annual fee). I earn thousands of points every month (just by buying the stuff I usually buy) that I can cash in for gift cards, merchandise, vacations, etc.

DiSFLyLaTiNa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
i just don't use it. I don't have a need i don't buy anything expensive i have a debit card for that small stuff...

siufai

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
i just don't use it. I don't have a need i don't buy anything expensive i have a debit card for that small stuff...

You buy the little things with the credit cards, and do not use your debit card. Then use the debit card to pay off the credit card. This is what I do.

I have 2 credit cards, one for gas and one for food, misc. I always know how much I have on my debit card, so I know how much I can spend on my credit card and use the debit card (checking account) to pay off the credit cards at the end of the month.

I have been doing this since I got my credit cards at 18, and now my credit scores are excellent. 2 of them are 780+ and one of them is 800+

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Whatever man, it's your choice.

I can't even remember the last time I used my debit card (besides to take cash out of the ATM).

However, if you want your credit score to improve so that you can get approved for things like wireless phone plans and for better stuff in the future, using your credit cards helps a lot. It's got nothing to do with buying expensive stuff. I charge anything and everything- purchases as cheap as a cup of coffee.

Buying lunch once a month on your credit card and paying it off when you get the bill is even helpful.

I have only one rule: I never buy anything I can't afford to pay for in cash.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH

You might not need to use it, but you should. A good credit score is probably more important than ever in this economy. You're going to appreciate that good credit score in the future when you try to buy a car or house. You'll be more likely to get approved without a cosigner and you'll get better interest rates, thus saving you money. It's your choice though.

wfiphone

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2009
I got sent a "black card."

I get that privilege because my folks pay off the expenses every month consistently and have never been late. They also have buy everything 100% cash down including cars and homes.

One thing which I've learned which I don't mind sharing is that paying cash down for everything makes sense. You can buy a 35k car and end up paying 50k total b/c of interest.

The only thing which my attitude has changed is toward rent. Before it was a BIG no no. Now that housing is so awful I'm paying rent instead of buying the condo b/c housing prices could go down further especially in the heart of big cities which is where I live now.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Oh yes, one more thing.

If you're going to use your credit card as I've described, you should use a credit card that has a point-gathering system (hopefully one without an annual fee). I earn thousands of points every month (just by buying the stuff I usually buy) that I can cash in for gift cards, merchandise, vacations, etc.

Generally, it takes three years of credit to get one of those. I just turned 20 and I won't be able to get one of those until I'm 21. I got my credit card the same week that I turned 18. I pay it off entirely every single month. Still, I can't get a limit increase. :-/

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I got sent a "black card."

I get that privilege because my folks pay off the expenses every month consistently and have never been late. They also have buy everything 100% cash down including cars and homes.

One thing which I've learned which I don't mind sharing is that paying cash down for everything makes sense. You can buy a 35k car and end up paying 50k total b/c of interest.

The only thing which my attitude has changed is toward rent. Before it was a BIG no no. Now that housing is so awful I'm paying rent instead of buying the condo b/c housing prices could go down further especially in the heart of big cities which is where I live now.

Wait are you saying your parents paid for their house and cars 100% in full in cash? Maybe I misunderstand what you mean. If they do, then they are filthy rich and most people, as in 99.99% of the population, could not possibly do that.

Generally, it takes three years of credit to get one of those. I just turned 20 and I won't be able to get one of those until I'm 21. I got my credit card the same week that I turned 18. I pay it off entirely every single month. Still, I can't get a limit increase. :-/

I know on at least one of my cards I get at least 1% back on every purchase I make. Sometimes more depending what I'm buying. I got that when I was 18.

DiSFLyLaTiNa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
I don't ever see myself buying a car ( I live in San Francisco) and I don't ever see myself buying a house (again I live in San Francisco) both are expensive unnecessary expenses for such a city. so i still see no point in using my credit card. One of them I only got because I felt sorry for the banker and wanted to help him fill his quota. lol. the other I got it because... just because I had just turned 18! yay

coledog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2006
Roanoke, VA
I just ordered my iPhone yesterday (hopefully with "expedited" shipping it should be here Friday) and before I ordered I ran a credit check and found that I have a score of 727 (Experian).

I'm 18, I've had my credit card for 3-4 months now, made 2 payments a month, and got my limit bumped once.

I started reading Tuesday night about people getting turned down on credit scores of 650 etc...got worried about not a phone! When I called ATT, went though the credit process, I got approved with NO deposit!! Woot!

So in any case...as per all other advice givers, pay your bills and you can get a phone! Also, they will run this credit check on any phone plan, not just the iPhone.

Just my 2 cents...

EDIT: Also, no auto loans on my score as my current car loan is through my bro...yes, it helps a lot! (no credit tho :( )

siufai

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
I don't ever see myself buying a car ( I live in San Francisco) and I don't ever see myself buying a house (again I live in San Francisco) both are expensive unnecessary expenses for such a city. so i still see no point in using my credit card. One of them I only got because I felt sorry for the banker and wanted to help him fill his quota. lol. the other I got it because... just because I had just turned 18! yay

You do know that some companies (when you apply for a job) run credit check and if you don't have credit, you may not get the job. So when you're getting ready to get a full-time professional job, your credit score could either help you or prevent you from getting a job.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Aren't you adorable! Awwwwwww......
This was the cutest post ever!

Wow. Good luck kid.

I think I'm done on this thread.

DiSFLyLaTiNa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
wow so the sarcasm is just great guys. Nobody had asked you to come back ;]

anyways i wasn't asking about credit in this post i was asking about at&t being more relaxed on making new service.

jobs considering credit sounds stupid as well, what does credit have to do with my ability to do a job better than someone else

siufai

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
jobs considering credit sounds stupid as well, what does credit have to do with my ability to do a job better than someone else

It depends on the type of job. If you are going to be managing/handling money, they would not want someone who has bad credit. Those type of jobs, anything that deals with managing money or handling money, will require credit checks.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
wow so the sarcasm is just great guys. Nobody had asked you to come back ;]

It's called responsibility? Now don't you think an employer would like to hire a person who is responsible for their own financial dealings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.