AT&T bill question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NoahPoCh, Aug 14, 2008.

1. NoahPoCh macrumors newbie

So you need a credit card to purchase the iPhone (and become a new AT&T customer)... So I want my mom to put it on her credit card

But my mom is afraid of me not being able to pay my bill (to her in cash). She thinks that if I am unable to pay it and she cancels it, it will have a negative affect on her credit score. Is this true? Is there a way to alleviate her of the responsibility of paying the bill?

2. carrjar macrumors member

Two Steps

1st Step in the iPhone process is to run your credit. If your mom is going to be responsible for the setting up the account, then she is financially responsible. Kind of like a co-sign. If you are the one who they are running credit on, then she is not responsible, you are. If you are too young and have little established credit, you'll likely be asked for a deposit. 2nd Step-The credit card requirement for payment can be avoided by purchasing a gift card with cash. Make sense?

3. NoahPoCh thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, makes sense. But no matter what, you need a credit card to activate the phone, right? Can I activate the phone after purchasing it, kinda like it was with the first-generation phone?

4. TonyMil macrumors member

No matter what you need the CC to purchase it. No, you cannot activate it home like a 1st gen.

If the bill goes unpaid long enough it will go out to collections which will impact credit.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Whoever opens the account is responsible for paying the bill. At some point, the account can be transferred to the name of someone else responsible for paying the bill, assuming that person meets all of AT&T's requirements. AFAIK, the bill doesn't have to be paid with a credit card, ... they will mail a paper bill to the house that can be paid by mailing a check back.

If you mom cancels the account, her credit will not be affected (unless she doesn't pay the final bill on time). If she cancels before the 2-year contract is up, she will have to pay the $175 early-termination fee (along with whatever she owes for that month's service).

6. apockalipse macrumors member

Canceling the service will get you slapped with a big termination fee.

If you can't pass your own credit check, you shouldn't get an iphone because your not financially ready for it.

If there is any question as to whether or not you can afford the monthly service, then you shouldn't consider it because you are not financially ready for it.

If you would have to struggle to make the monthly payments then you have more important things to be doing with your money like saving for college or saving for your own place.

There is no reason anyone should be spending $70+ dollars a month on a phone if they are not financially independent.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

There's a boatload of kids between 16 and 18 in my neighborhood that could easily afford a $70 phone bill (with their part-time jobs) but still can't get an account with AT&T because of their age.

8. apockalipse macrumors member

Are they paying for their own rent/mortgage, their own clothes, their own cars/gas, their own food?

If they are and can still afford $70+ a month than I would agree that they are the RARE exceptions to the rule and can get an iphone if they so choose.

However, I suspect that they still live at home and rely heavily on their parents for most if not all of life's necessities and therefore should get a basic cell phone and not one that costs $70 a month. Take the extra money and save it for college or your own place.

9. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Credit card has nothing to do with this.

What does is the SS number you provide, and the license that matches your name and address.

10. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

You don't need a credit card. Take cash in, buy Apple Gift Cards and pay with them.

11. iPunish901 macrumors 6502

iPunish901

exactly! a credit card is only needed if you are doing Direct Fulfillment, so they can charge you when it ships. Credit checks only need your SSN and a valid ID.

i just recently(week ago) dealt with credit fraud. so i know

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Read what he said - these kids aren't financially independent; food, clothing, housing, medical, and other costs are paid for them. If you do feel that you are financially independent just because you can pay a phone bill, well.....

13. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

$70 dollar even at minimum wage is about a day worth of work. Most kids at 17 with working parents should be able to afford that.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Again - they aren't financially independent. Sure, I could pay that when I was working in HS, but didn't have to pay for food, rent, etc. Being financially independent means you're paying for all these things and can afford things like a phone.

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

He said "If you can't pass your own credit check, you shouldn't get an iphone because your not financially ready for it".

My point was simply that I believe there there are kids out there that are financially responsible enough to afford a $70/month cell-phone bill but (back to what he said) can't pass the credit check required to open an AT&T account (or purchase the iPhone with a credit card) simply because of their age.

Just like everyone else reading this thread, I have my own financial beliefs/values/morals (based on my own life experiences). I don't, however, presume that my views are what everyone under 18 should be doing in order to have a successful financial life when they're own their own. :rolleyes:

16. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I was 17 when I opened up my account with my mom. My phone bill averaged $80 with some texts and basic plan. Now it averages $90 with unlimited texts and basic plan. Even though I am 18 now and I can get a credit card, I can't switch it because of no credit. I am waiting to establish very good credit before I switch it to my name. My debit card is attatched to the account, so you DON'T need a credit card to make the payments, but you do need one for the credit check.

17. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Kids...

Your credit card won't provide credit reference, only your SS will.