AT&T billing problem..?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SnowLeopard2008, Jul 13, 2010.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I just got my iPhone 4 on Saturday and I thought it would be a good idea to download their app (myWireless) to track my minutes, data, etc. used. To my surprise, it says that I am 30 days into my bill cycle. This can't be right. I just switched from T-Mobile a couple of days ago. I don't want to call them and be put on hold for an hour for nothing, so does this seem right to you? Or is it a mistake or a trick to con me out of an extra month's charge?

The only thing I can think of is that my T-Mobile bill cycle ends on the 15th. And coincidentally, AT&T's bill cycle is on the 14th. But still that doesn't make sense...

Attached Files:

2. PurdueGuy macrumors regular

I don't know if AT&T still does it, but your billing cycle date and the date you actually started with them aren't the same. Cingular used to break it up by regions, but who knows. I know I started on June 29th a few years ago, but my bill closes on the 4th of each month.

Your bill will probably cycle tonight, and show a new billing cycle tomorrow. The first month's charges are prorated based on when AT&T deems your billing cycle to begin/end.

3. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

From what I can tell from your situation, is that you ported your number and since they can't have a gap in coverage, they set your billing cycle the same as what you had at T-Mobile. However, I don't believe that they will charge you the full amount. They will most likely send you a pro-rated bill for 1 and 1/2 months (will be larger because of it) in the coming month or so. No need to worry until you get your itemized bill.

That's what they did for me when I upgraded in AT&T with my data plan. Didn't have one before, so they just pro-rated my first months services.

4. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, that's exactly what I did. I ported my number from T-Mobile on Monday. Btw, what does prorated mean? I saw that term when I double-checked on AT&T's website. Thanks for the answers! :)

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It means you only pay for the days you use it.
    They take the normal monthly rate and divide it by the number of days.

day you have 15 days prorated on a 400 min plan that is $50 a month.

Well you will have 200 mins and be charged $15 for those 15 days and then the next month you get everything.

6. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Thanks for explaining it. I understand it now. :)