Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
i know this isn't at&t forums but anyway...

why the hell is every second of my calls missed? people tell me they tried to call me and a little later i see a missed call and it didn't even ring!

no it's not on mute (even then it vibrates).

wtf

drchipinski

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007

why the hell is every second of my calls missed? people tell me they tried to call me and a little later i see a missed call and it didn't even ring!

wtf

Welcome to ATT, where you iPhone is really nice, but your coverage is not.

alejovh1

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2008
your phone could be on edge checking for mail?
this won't happen with the 3G (voice and data):cool:

yea i agree with you 100%. no iphone (yet), but i've had at&t (cingular) for years. the service used to be a lot better, but the last month i have noticed that my calls have been dropping like crazy! this happens occasionlly where there will be a spurt of dropped calls but then it'll be good for awhile. :confused:

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

wtf

If you're on EDGE, or if your phone is sending/receiving data via EDGE, you won't receive calls.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I had that problem with my first phone; the apple store gave me a new one, and no more problems with that. Also, yah, the EDGE thing. If you were on EDGE or your phone was background-checking email using EGDE, at that exact second the call came in, you're out of luck too.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
i had issues too with my first iphone...

got it replaced from apple, and the coverage and signal has been PERFECT since.

Chrisrokc

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
Last year I had an Edge phone. It was horrible in my area. Dropped calls all over the place. It slowly got better. I then upgraded to a Blackjack. It had 3g and my calls never dropped. I have since bought an AT&T Tilt. No dropped calls at all.

3G > Edge when it comes to everything including dropped calls.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
T-Mobile gave me the same "service". I couldn't pin it down, except possibly to being in a marginal signal location to start and possibly also to me being between the phone and the tower it could see when it happened.

For some reason I'd ALWAYS get the VM tone, though, right on time...

But that's nothing. A friend has a Sprint/Nextel phone, and when I call, it could be DAYS before the VM or missed call signal gets through...

OTOH, my AT&T GoPhone (bought to tide myself over till iPhone) gets me much better signal strength and reliability. So far.

:apple::apple:

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005

wtf

didnt you get the memo? for the past few years AT&T have been raising the bar. Now they are just lowering it back down :)

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
definately the dropping calls thingy is another damn annoying thing. so frustrating.

and no i'm not necessarily using edge when the missed calls happens.

so looking forward to 3g

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I have not experienced the problems you guys are speaking of. I have had been with Cingular for 7 years before the switch to AT&T and with the iPhone the service has remained quite stable and good in my opinion. The only issue I find is here and there when I call Puerto Rico from the states my wife can here me but I can not here her; I just need to hang up and call again.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
definately the dropping calls thingy is another damn annoying thing. so frustrating.

and no i'm not necessarily using edge when the missed calls happens.

so looking forward to 3g

Ha, I hated that about AT&T/Cingular, especially when they ran their "fewest dropped calls" ads. Yeah sure, the calls never dropped, but I would constantly be saying, "hello, hello?" and hear a bunch of garbled static. All that = waste of minutes, just disconnect me please!

Toadkillerdog

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
Its funny. I hesitated to switch to AT&T because of all the comments about poor reception and missed calls, but my actual service with them has benn better than with Sprint. Not to mention customer service is head and shoulders above Sprint for resolving issues so far.
I live in Green Bay, WI.

Edge has been faster than my 1x reception on my Sprint account also. No good EVDO reception here and no 3G either yet.

aridon

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2007
Thats the funny thing about a national network, service in one are is in no way comparable to service in another area.

In case you didn't know its like that with every carrier.

flavamactop

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Well, I have Verizon now and get absolutely no reception in my house... so AT&T can't be worse when I switch next month :rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::p:mad:;);)

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
over 10 years of PacBell Wireless, Cingular, AT&T... never had a single problem...

sounds like you have to get a new iPhone or move..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.