AT&T blows, lost my place in line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macse30, Oct 13, 2011.

1. macse30 macrumors regular

macse30

Just another thread on why AT&T is horrible. I woke up to place my 4S order at 2AM Central, but the store did not go live until 2:45 or so. AT&T would not let me order because my billing address was a PO Box. They would not let me change my billing address to my street address because they use the USPS to verify addresses. We have no home delivery in our town. Everybody gets a free PO Box. So the USPS could not verify my address and AT&T would not change my billing address.

Fine. I go to sleep and wake up when the call center starts at 7AM. The nice lady helps work through the problem and eventually changes my billing address to the physical address of the post office which is the only address in our town that the USPS will verify. Great, I think. Order officially placed at 7:42AM.

But I could never get a status on my order on att.com. After many phone calls, a CS supervisor tells me that my change of address request was sent to the high risk team to review. My Terms & Conditions email did not go out until Saturday afternoon because of this. I was away and did not see it until Sunday when I accepted.

So they changed my order date to the 9th and are telling me delivery could be 28 days. I asked them to cancel my order. They say it is impossible because I accepted Terms & Conditions. They say I cannot go to a retail store because I have an order in progress. If I switch to Verizon, they charge me the ETF. This CS jerk says my only option is to wait until the phone arrives in a month and then refuse it.

Despite ordering ASAP, the replacement for my 3GS is delayed a month. I cannot wait in line for a phone. I cannot switch carriers for a month. The CS supervisor says he cannot cancel my order or move me up in line. Really horrible and frustrating service. I cannot wait to switch to Verizon. Their service might not be much better, but at least they have 3G in our town.

/rant

2. futch macrumors 6502

futch

Sucks man.

I have AT&T and I intentionally ordered through Apple to avoid any headache. Ordering directly form the source will always be better than service provider (except for the lucky few to get their Verizon orders early :) )

I would change to another service provider but a) grandfathered in for unlimited data; b) need to surf and talk on phone at same time a lot; c) internet speeds are faster on AT&T; d) get discount on plan through former Law School that I wouldn't get elsewhere.

That is a huge pile of garbage that you are stuck for about a month because of AT&T's incompetence. Was your contract up or was it an upgrade? You can always stick it to them by refusing shipment and switching to Verizon or Sprint if your contract was up. On the bright side, you still have an iPhone and although 28 days will FEEL like a year, it is only 28 days.

Could be worse...

3. DjPiLL macrumors member

You should have switched your billing address to a UPS Store. Have the phone sent there. Pay the UPS Store $5 bucks to accept the package. Change your billing address back to the PO Box.

Done deal.

4. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Note to self: ALWAYS order iPhones from Apple directly.

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Sorry to hear that OP. I just pre-ordered my 4S this morning and I'm sure I won't see it until sometime next month as well. AT&T may surprise you and your phone may arrive sooner than expected.

6. macse30 thread starter macrumors regular

macse30

I know it's only a phone, but who doesn't like bright shiny objects? I have been off contract since July making the month hold even more frustrating. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan that I am ready to toss to get rid of AT&T. We have Edge instead of 3G here so I get unlimited data at dial-up rates. BFD. Talk and surf is a great thing that I'll miss, but the lack of 3G means I can't even surf! Eff AT&T, I'm off to Verizon.

7. cruisencode macrumors member

I thought you couldn't talk and surf on Edge. :confused:

8. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

If it makes you feel any better I doubt it will actually take that much longer to get you the phone. More then likely those times are worst case scenario so that if it did happen to take that long people wouldn't call complaining about the wait.

9. jer9542 macrumors member

Welcome to my crappy boat. I ordered @ 3:30 CT through ATT. Unable to track my order and the only information I have regarding my order is an email for accepting terms and conditions (which i did) and an email with my order status information (useless as I am unable to track). Called ATT several times because I am sick of my 3G and was assured I would receive my phone on the 14th, but now are saying 28 days as well. If my phone is not delivered within the weekend, I am going to buy it at a store and refuse the package.

10. b24pgg macrumors 65816

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

What the AT&T rep told you is absolute bullsh**.

If the phone hasn't shipped and won't for almost a month, they absolutely must let you cancel the order.

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

couldn't

Some people simply couldn't order from apple if they wanted to keep some of the service options that they had on their account, legacy data and messaging plans were not pushed through for all buyers on the apple OR the ATT website.

I was in the same position and put in my order at 07:15 friday morning. I DID get a T&C confirmation and order email and processed that, but after nearly a week of not being able to see ANY information on the website and only one funky department being able to tell me any status - there WAS no status, ordered, processed, pending, backordered just that they could SEE the order. Finally, yesterday I got an escalation dept in executive account services (which I am not but they helped me) they said, "nope, this order won't count for friday and we won't have new supply for several weeks, so no, you won't be getting it friday and most likely it will be several weeks, 21-28 days till you get it" sorry.

So, I cancelled. I'll take my chances out in the marketplace.

12. lionqueen macrumors 6502

I wish that were a fullproof way to not be screwed by att, but sadly, that's not the case. They managed to screw my order up even tho I ordered from Apple - Apple says att have a hold on my order. There's no way to escape the clutches of att.

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

My billing is a PO box and my order was fine. In fact, for billing a PO box should be acceptable.

Did you PO box match your cards billing address?

Also, what is this T&C email. Never seen it. Is this a new account?

14. macse30 thread starter macrumors regular

macse30

The problem is that this small Far West Texas town has never had US Mail delivery to homes. Ever since the first ranch and railroad, every business and home went to the post office to get mail. Therefore, the USPS cannot confirm physical addresses. AT&T will not ship iPhones unless USPS confirms the address.

Yes my CC address is my PO Box.

When an account is upgraded and contract renewed, new T&C must be accepted. This is where I promise not to use MyWi!

/Thanks to all for the support in this thread. It makes the situation more tolerable.

15. ZipZap macrumors 601

Just renewed.
    Never got that email.

Would be shocked that its separated form the ordering process.

Order processed and shipped.

16. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

So you're basically blaming AT&T because they failed to cater to your extremely specific situation.

17. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

No... They are being asshats and not letting him cancel the phone order and pick up in store. That's retarded. Sounds very akin to Rogers here in Canada.

18. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

That's a horrible story. I can understand that you would want to switch to Verizon. I would bet you could get them to waive the ETF if you told them the story you related above.

Good luck and keep us updated.

19. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

Same story for me. I don't understand why it's impossible to cancel a preorder when they haven't charged my card or shipped the phone. Technically nothing has actually happened. Just rip up the paperwork and move on. The T&C is dependant on me accepting the phone and them charging me so if none of those have happened...then canceling should be easy. Only reason I'm on AT&T is for unlimited data.

In the end, I'll live but what they are doing just feels shady.

NOTE TO SELF: ALWAYS ORDER THROUGH APPLE.