At&t Cancel Fee Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eriffic, Aug 24, 2008.

1. eriffic macrumors newbie

hey guys, i want an iphone, but am currently on a family plan on tmobile. all i see on ebay are like 700-800 unlocked iphones. i was thinking if this was possible : go to the store, get a new activation for at&t iphone for $199 then cancel the plan after a couple of days, which would cost $175 fee to cancel. total of that would be around $375. is that possible? let me know thanks.

2. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

This is what I am in the process of doing. The one problem with this is that, as I have heard, AT&T may require you to return the phone if you cancel within the first 30 days. However, when I spoke to an AT&T rep, he said that the iPhone would be "considered my property" once I payed for it at the subsidized price. AT&T really makes it hard for schemers like us though; my first bill was for $122, and it came only about a week after signing my contract. This included the activation and other arbitrary fees, but the due date for payment is the 28th-- about 3 days before my 30 day period is up! So, I have a feeling I will end up entering a new billing cycle if I try to wait until the night of the 30th day.

I've spent hours considering every option I have in order to end up paying the least in fees, but any way I look at it, they have me screwed. It will end up costing $600-700 in the end, which I knew going into it. I wish I hadn't been so anxious to get an iPhone. Although most 1st Gen iPhones are going for only a few hundred dollars less than this on eBay, I'd recommend trying to get the best price on one of those and forget the iPhone 3G. (But I do like the fact that the 3G's battery is not soldered in.)

3. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Get a first gen man. You wont be able to use the 3g on tmobile and i dont think the new firmware is unlocked.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

As opie points out, you can certainly go through all that trouble, but you still won't be able to use it on T-mobile. As of right now, a first gen phone would be your best bet.

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

ATT 3G does not equal Tmobile 3G. Buy a 1st gen. iPhone.