AT&T Cancelation questions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mlad1101, Jun 18, 2009.

1. mlad1101 macrumors regular

Two quick questions just read this...

"On Tuesday the company said that it will prorate the $175 early termination fee it charges wireless customers who cancel their contracts based upon how much time they have left in their contract. This means that someone who cancels their service 23 months into a two-year contract will pay considerably less than someone who cancels the service after only six months. (All new customers are able to cancel their service with no penalty for up to 30 days after service begins.)"

Firstly does this mean that I can go buy an iPhone 3GS at the 199 299 price on a new line and cancel within 30 days for free? At that point switch the phone to my current line?

Also being i bought the 3G on launch day does that mean if the first option doesn't work that my cancelation fee will be roughly $87.50 instead of $175?

Thanks.

2. joro macrumors 68020

joro

The first answer is no, you can’t cancel and switch the phone to the other line. AT&T, as all providers, require you to return any subsidized equipment your received – I don’t believe they offer you the ability to “buy” the device outright, but they may have changed this. So if you cancel, chances are they are going to tell you to return the phone along with your cancellation fee.

In terms of the second question, I want to say that they knock off $5-10 a month off your early cancellation fee. So if you bought the 3G I think you would still be looking at a little more than $87.50. Also, from my understanding, they don’t let you get new pricing on phone for 6 months following the end of your termination plus you run the risk of losing your number as well.