AT&T Cancellation, need help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by subterrain, Aug 15, 2010.

1. subterrain macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I have an AT&T contract for about 6 months or so. I have a really tragic case that no one else might have had this before. I REALLY need your help with this.

2 months ago, my ex-girlfriend asked me a favor to buy an iPhone 4 since she hadn't had a credit history built up yet -we are both from Bulgaria btw. Me and her went to an Apple store and added a line into my contract and got her an iPhone. A month ago she had to leave for a visit to our home country and after a week later we broke up. Now she says she won't be back! And because we broke up, I don't think she is going to be willing to pay her phone bills :/

Off course, I don't want to pay her bill every month, so I did a little research on the internet and found out that I could pay an early termination fee and get out of the contract. But the problem is that I don't have her iPhone to bring it back to AT&T. And also I don't want to get out of my contract, just want to release her line from my contract.

I feel so dumbed that I trusted her :( Though, I never thought about something like this since we had been together for more than 4 years!

I called to AT&T and -I think because of my English- they couldn't understand what my problem is and what I wanted to do. I spent more than 1 hour on the phone and don't want to call them back. Please help me with this and tell me what I should do.

Your suggestions and advices are more than appreciated.

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're going to have to get the phone back some how.

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well Im supprised they could not speak your language becuase I have never called there and got an English speaking cust serv rep!.

what I would do is go to a store or call and cancel her number. you should be able to keep her line for just $10 per month and that will most likely be cheaper than the cancelation fee. maybe let your mom use that line or something but I would cut her off faster than a fat guy at a buffet! also 6 months into the deal I dont think you have to return the phone. I think that is only in the first 30 days. I will be corrected shortly if that is wrong!

4. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

First off, you actually have very good english typing skills, I couldn't tell it wasn't your first language until you mentioned you were from Bulgaria. Usually paying the etf fee doesn't mean one must give back the iPhone well that is what I have seen

5. subterrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all of you for your answers! I'm kind of releived, phew!
    So, the basic thing to do is to go to an at&t store and tell them the situation and then pay for the etf. See, having a gf is always a cost for a man :)

@chargit,

Could you please go into that process I can pay $10 a month? She's been in that plan for just 2 months. Do you think they would suspend the account for 22 months? -Because I'm not going to trust any other person, even if she would be my mom! :) - There may be a limit, isn't there?

@TheShinyMac,

Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad to hear that!

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

the $10 I am referring to is the charge to ad a line to the family plan. I am guessing you do have a family plan since that is the cheapest way to have additional #'s. you would share minutes and everything.