AT&T can't unlock phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LaynieGorilla, Nov 11, 2013.

1. LaynieGorilla, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013

LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

I bought my phone used. After I had it for a while I sent in for repairs because of problems to the apple store and they swapped me out a new one.. That is the only history I have with the phone. Why can AT&T unlock it? I tried their unlock request and after I entered the imei it said it was ineligible for a lock. How so?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. LaynieGorilla thread starter macrumors 6502

Guess they would know more than anyone but I was wondering if other had the same experience. I called and they shall let me know within a week. Thanks.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's not that they can't unlock it, but rather that they won't unlock it.

Is your account currently under a contract? If so, they might be trying to argue that the phone is locked to your account contract, even though you bought it used.

5. dnayak macrumors newbie

Please let us know what is the update

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The unlock request is supposed to be only for devices bought from AT&T (or through Apple store to use on AT&T). If you bought it used, it won't be recognized as such, but you can speak to a rep to try to get them to unlock it from their end.

7. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Why can't AT&T unlock it?

There may be multiple reasons.

Crap reason #1:
    If you bought it used, you are not the original owner, and they only deal with the original owner.

Crap reason #2:
    The IMEI has been active for less than 24 months.

To expand:

I purchased an iPhone 3GS at release (June 2009).
    That meant it would be eligible for an unlock in June 2011, correct? Wrong!

I took it into an Apple Store in May 2010 for a repair, and it was swapped out with a different iPhone 3GS.

I tried to get it unlocked, but AT&T refused. I called and complained to multiple people at AT&T. They don't care. Their policy is that the IMEI registered *must* be 24 months old, regardless of contract.

That meant I had to wait until May 2012 to get it unlocked, 11 months after my contract was up.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This is most likely a personal anecdote that's no longer true in practice. I too had trouble unlocking the iPhone 4S last year using at&t's online unlock request and had to reach a rep to have them unlock it from their end. However, they've since fixed the problems and I had no trouble unlocking the iPhone 5 (even after I swapped it out for a replacement unit) upon upgrading to the 5S.

Most likely the problem is the OP's unit was bought used and hence not a device bought from at&t. All the OP has to do is have a rep unlock it from their end rather than use the online request.