Carrier AT&T carrier insurance vs AC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oldmanmac, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

If you have the carrier insurance is AppleCare needed?

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Not really no. You're basically paying two times for the same coverage (minus theft/loss through insurance)

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

ATT carrier insurance as a higher deductible too, if I am not mistaken. Ialways say just put a bit of cash aside each month. Apple's out of warranty replacement is rather reasonable IMO.

4. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

In addition to what was said previously, if you have the option, AppleCare+ is probably going to be the better option. The only downside is the lack of coverage for a lost/stolen device.

5. Oldmanmac thread starter macrumors 6502

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Depends on where you want your support to come from.

If you've damaged your phone and make a claim on AT&T insurance, you're likely getting an iPhone that was refurbished by the insurance company. It's likely a repaired phone, and cellular insurance companies use third parties to make the repairs. Some might be Apple-certified. Some definitely aren't.

The problem arises if you end up having an issue with your "new" phone that should be under warranty. I've seen more than a few cases where people have brought their carrier-insurance-refurbed phone to an Apple store because something was wrong with it, and the store wouldn't touch it because non-Apple parts were used to make the repairs. At that point, you no longer have a warranty, and pretty much have to try your luck with the carrier to get your phone fixed again.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If you want Apple customer service and don't fear losing your phone or having it stolen, go with AppleCare+. With AC+ you pay when you need it.

If you want the "experience" of dealing with Asurion, 3rd party insurance provider (and all that it entails), and/or need coverage for a lost/stolen phone, go with carrier coverage. With Asurion, you pay monthly and also when you need it.

9. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Aside from the lost/stolen benefit you get from ATT I always prefer to get AC. Plus it means when you need to get a repair done it is handled through Apple and not ATT. I hate ATT customer service with a passion

10. aneftp macrumors 601

Just surprised people favor apple care so much.

$129 plus $99 DEDUCIBLLE.

Att is $7/month ($199 deductible for first 6 months and $149 deductible after 6 months and $99 after 12 months).

While find my iPhone helps locate lost phones. It's not fool proof. Thirds will shut down the phone and resell for parts even with iCloud lock.

I had colleague have phone under apple care stolen at Walgreen counter. Police caught the thief. But he sold the phone and just took the money. So Apple care sucks against theft/lost.

11. Oldmanmac thread starter macrumors 6502

I used Asurion on my 5S. had washed it. Paid the $100 dollars and got another phone.
    They're going up on monthly and probably replacement cost.

Would AC+ have covered the washing?

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yes.

Also, I've read many horror stories about dealing with Asurion. I have no opinion or recommendation whatsoever, but since I have little to no fear of theft or loss, it doesn't make sense for me to pay $8-$10/mo. plus additional money for phone.

Finally, one can always get a prorated refund on AC+.