AT&T cell phone for 10 year old?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sigamy, Sep 8, 2010.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

Our pickup from school is now complicated by my wife's change in work schedule. So, it's time to get my son a cell phone.

I need some recommendations on decent phone from AT&T with text messaging. He's only 10 so no smart phone, no costly data plan.

It may be nice to double as music player. Can any of these non-iPhones play nice with a Mac to transfer music/videos?

Thanks.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can pick up a RAZR v3i new, unlocked and contract free off eBay for about $60 - $70. It is the most recent 3rd party phone I know of that is iTunes compatible.

3. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I wouldn't spend any more than the price of a cheap Go Phone from AT&T if I planned to give it to a 10 year old. I don't know how responsible your son is, but kids that age tend to lose things rather easily. Not only that but it is likely to draw the attention of the other kids at the school, which could also increase the odds that the phone would end up either getting lost, stolen, or broken.

A cheap go phone would easily provide what you need for your son. It is very easy to work and very inexpensive. You can get it prepaid, put only a certain amount of minutes, make it less or more restrictive at your pleasure, and it comes with no contract. So when your son's need for the phone is over, you wont be stuck in a expensive contract.

4. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Just to add that the go phones from AT&T start as low as $6.99.

5. jcaraballo70 macrumors member

6. DolemiteJackson macrumors member

Unless there's a reason it has to be on AT&T, a prepaid phone is the way to go.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Go Phone = AT&T speak for prepaid.

B

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

It seems a feature phone is in order then. As to plans/prices, I have no idea, but Nokia still makes a lot of phones like that, you know, the ones everyone had in 2001. They're fine for a 10 year old though; very simple to use and not much can go wrong!