Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Extra $30 will be ridiculous.

Not really. It's perfect. Remebmer, AT&T doesn't WANT you to use this service.

They're building the 3G network as fast as they can, and with all the iPhones and Blackberries being sold they're just barely staying ahead of demand. And just barely.

Add a bunch of laptops (which will suck more data more quickly since they can multi-task much better than phones) and they'll have real problems.

They don't WANT laptops on the network. So charging $30 a month will help them achieve that goal. So really it's the perfect price.

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
I'll stick with PDANet, thanks. :)

I thought this product only works with Windows computers. I see others talking about this, are they using it on a TREO?
So we would need a TREO in addition to our iPhone and use the TREO for the tether? What does that cost for an additional line with a TREO?

Thanks.

orbitaldesign

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
You know, the issue for me wouldn't be $30 (or whatever) a month... it would be $30 a month on top of a required additional $30 a month just for owning the phone.

I'm not opposed to paying for services, actually I'm for it as a business owner myself. I just think that a reasonable situation would be to include it in the data fee I already pay which, IMO, is pretty high as it is. Just my two cents.

unkle77

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2008
PDX, Oregon
why do you need tethering if there is 10 billion starbucks in every major city, lol.

but yea, if they charge for it, which they will, its not that important to me =\

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
NC
I thought this product only works with Windows computers. I see others talking about this, are they using it on a TREO?
So we would need a TREO in addition to our iPhone and use the TREO for the tether? What does that cost for an additional line with a TREO?

Thanks.

PDAnet works with any computer that has wi-fi capability. Set up an ad-hoc network on the computer and connect to it on the iPhone. Open PDAnet on the iPhone and commence surfing on your computer!

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC

Thanks.
I have both NetShare and PDANet on my iPhone and I find that NetShare is a little harder to set up. With PDANet on a Mac it's very easy, all you have to do is...
1) Click on the AirPort Icon in the task bar and click on "Create Network", click "OK"
2) Select the network on your iPhone and open up PDANet and you are connected.

With NetShare you have to set up an IP address and change settings on the iPhone and the Mac.
PDANet is the best way to go.

Attachments

• photo1226009724116.jpg
    photo1226009724116.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 61

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If we get this in the UK and either free or cheap, then ossom. Sure the speeds aren't fast but if it means being able to send and receive proper documents on the ol' Powerbook then I'll be a happy bunny.

Alex2287

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
Tethering...

YAY!(sarcasm)

MMS! Is that too much to ask for? Text forwarding? Video? Cut and paste?
I think the iPhone is going to have the ability to map the human genome before it has MMS(etc) capabilities....:eek:

AW.kennedy

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Brighton England
i use this

in the UK i'm using a normal 3G phone via bluetooth connected to my laptop to use the internet when i'm away for the occassional weekend (not very often) but its really useful to have free internet.

I pay £5 a month for this, and its only 1GB a month on three - i'm on the only plan that they can't charge me extra for when i go over the amount.

I kinda need to get a new phone - but i cant justify changing my contract unless o2 (who carrys iphones in the UK) start offering the same service..

admittedly three don't realize i'm using the mobile phone for what i am - but I use it so far between it doesnt really matter -the real fact is, if i have an Iphone with internet, i might like my computer to have that same internet too, else getting an iphone will actually reduce my current setups functionality.

sam-i-am

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
I wouldn't be so happy, everyone. AT&T will allow you to tether your laptop to your phone at a premium - anywhere form $60-$80/mo. It will be so expensive that most of you will not be willing to do it.

And this is why I have not yet jumped on the iPhone train. Until developers can fully harness the power of the phone, it's just fun and gimmicks.

As I said on TUAW, I'm no WinMo fanboy, but I can turn my 3G Tilt into a WiFi access point at the press of a button and allow anyone to connect to and use my 3G connection. Also, I pay half as much as the iPhone unlimited data plan, and less than a quarter of what it will cost iPhone users to do the same thing.

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL

Thanks.

I think this link will help answer your question. ;)

BoRegardless

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2004
I guess somewhat good news...

If ATT is going to charge $30 a month I'll pass...
----
The monthly charge can be IRRELEVANT! Why?

If you visit areas where 3G is virtually non-existent (regardless of ATT's coverage map), and where connecting via EDGE occurs only 30% of the time, then DO NOT GO with ATT.

You can sign up for a 3G data plan using an external card and try it out for one month and return it without charge inside of 30 days in most places.

For gosh sake, test drive before you buy in your area so you don't get tricked into thinking you are getting something you might not get.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
I'm posting right now using tethered internets off my iPhone (via PDAnet). Were at&t to implement this and bundle it into my current unlimited data, however unlikely that would seem, I'd be happy to un-jailbreak.

Having the option of 3G internet wherever I go is awesome. And, sadly for me, it definitely feels snappier™ than my home WiFi. :eek:

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
O2 have already said they support tethering (as they do for other phones without additional fee AFAIK), so the option should be fine for UK customers and should be free.

Hopefully Apple can make the experience right. With netshare, you have to have 3G+WiFi+Screen on (locking the phone turns off Netshare). Even when plugged in, the battery drains pretty fast. Apple could do it via the USB cable (no WiFi) and with the screen locked. It could even be set up through iTunes, so you don't have to manage network profiles.

Oh joy of joys.

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
I still remember that post when netshare came out saying how we would all be sorry. Im not sorry I bought it real fast the second time it came out! :D

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
I pay $60 a month for my Sprint EVDO service that I get using a PC Card. If it's $30 extra for iPhone tethering for a "legit" way of doing it, then that would make it $30 bucks less per month for me.

I don't know what AT&T's goals are for releasing tethering. It may not be to say "hey we love you so much, here's a free upgrade to make your iPhone more useful and help bring in new iPhone users". I'd say it's more likely that they're targeting people like me.

For me it would be a savings. There are lots of people who pay $60 a month for mobile broadband cards. $30 a month would be a bargain. It would pull business from other carriers. It would also pull in those for whom $60 for a dedicated card would be too much.

My only requirement is that I'd need to be able use the phone and the data service at the same time.

JitteryJimmy

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Verizon comparison

yeah, but how much will they charge?! $30/mo is way too expensive for me when i'm already paying that for the iphone's data plan. i think it should be included as is - will just help drive sales of the iphone and bring new customers to at&t. everyone wins!

As a Verizon customer, I pay roughly $95/month for a blackberry with:

- 450 minutes talk per month
- Blackberry Data plan
- zero text messages/month
- tethering, 5 GB cap/month.

In short, with verizon my base plan is like $80, and then $15 more per month for the tether.

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
The problem is that it should be completely free. We already purchased the phone and have a phone plan. Apple controls the tech to tether so why should customers be charged? How can you tell someone how to use what they purchase? I'm getting a lil tired of AT&T's little money making schemes. The tech is on the phone already; we have the ability to go onto the internet. Apple will provide the connectivity most likely and that's that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.