AT&T Changed My Device to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gryfon19, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Gryfon19 macrumors regular

I previously had a Cingular Treo 680 with an unlimited data plan. In order to retain my company's discount, I hacked my iPhone to keep the same SIM card. And today, when I went to pay my bill online, I found that my Device has been changed to an Apple iPhone. Are they monitoring the phones we use? If so, are they going to slowly weed out those of us who by-passed iTunes activation (change to appropriate calling plan, freeze/cancel account, etc.)? What do you think?

2. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

nice. did they give you the $20 iPhone data package too?

3. Gryfon19 thread starter macrumors regular

My plan is currently still the same as it was before, fortunately.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

From what I understand, every phone model has a number that the networks can see... Someone else posted this same kind of thing not too long ago...

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Just curious, is your company discount that good, or did you sign up for the 20.00 plan with the 680? I lost my company discount but gained a cheaper data plan, so it worked out for me. Did you convince them to give you cheaper 680 data?

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if its possible, return it and get an iPT instead...

7. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

Carriers can detect what phone you are using based on your IMEI.

It's really no big deal as they cannot switch your plan without your permission. It's likely a functionality built in the system to display the image of the phone based on IMEI.

8. Gryfon19 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I managed to change to the Media Max Unlimited plan online shortly after getting the 680 and still had my discount. That way, I had a cheap data plan and saved 23%.

9. Gryfon19 thread starter macrumors regular

I disagree, they can switch the plan in certain circumstances. For example, an iPhone currently "requires" one of 3 particular plans through AT&T. In this case, AT&T can change one's plan if it is not one of those 3 specific plans.

Same as they could have changed my data plan (Media Max Unlimited) back to the PDA Unlimited Data plan if they were aware I was using the Media Max plan for a Treo because the Media Max Plan is not intended for PDA-type phones.