AT&T Changed Upgrade Eligibility?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blevins321, Apr 27, 2011.

1. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Ok, so I've been interested in the new White iPhone to replace my 3GS. I did the *639# today to check my upgrade eligibility and it says a date in October of this year. The account was created on May 14, 2010. Up until about a week and a half ago, I was eligible for an upgrade according to *639# in May of this year. Why would AT&T change my upgrade eligibility?

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

3. blevins321 thread starter macrumors 68030

Helpful. That's my next step. I was hoping someone else has had this experience so that when/if they deny it saying May until recently, I have some sort of rebuttal.

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

Mine hasn't changed. Have you made any changes to your rate plan? As mentioned above it would be a good idea to call them.

5. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

was May your early upgrade?

att might have just thought sike!

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You probably made a change to your account. They can affect your upgrade eligibility. Did you add a new line or a feature to one of your existing ones?

7. Kupp macrumors regular

hmm, I upgraded in december of last year and according to that my upgrade date is august of 2012, so maybe they changed it from a 2 year cycle to 20 months, but who knows.

8. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

What kind of "rebuttal"?

YOU say, "So and So on Mac Rumors said .........., so you should change it back."

AT&T says, "Really? Well then I guess you are right, I'll change that for you."

Just wondering if this is what you are expecting to happen?

9. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

a month ago they moved mine up by 3 months...from 2/2012 to 11/2011

10. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Facts: AT&T made a change.

1) The old practice was to assign users a fixed upgrade date, 2 years after you upgraded.

2) The new practice is to evaluate your account periodically in a few different areas, then adjust upgrade eligibility dynamically. Therefore you could be eligible sooner.

11. SharepointGuy macrumors member

SharepointGuy

I have the same experience. I just dialed the number and it says i'm not able to get a full discount until 6/3. Exactly a month ago on March 28th, i have a text saying "as a valued customer we can offer you an upgrade..". It looks like this seals the deal on me waiting for the iPhone 5 and no white iPhone 4 for me. Apple and AT&T's loss (well until I get the 5).

12. blevins321 thread starter macrumors 68030

Nice to know that someone else is in the exact same boat :p

I called them and asked them and they said it was because I added the unlimited text/mobile calling. Before I just had texting. :(

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

I made that change as well, and I know a lot of people did. I was wondering at the time if it would affect my upgrade elgibility. So far it hasn't for me.

14. shelbymayer, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

shelbymayer macrumors regular

your "facts" are absolutely backwards except for at&t making a change

old practice was to evaluate the account and assign an upgrade date...the more you spend the sooner you can upgrade...for instance if you are the main line on a family plan you can upgrade 366 days (one year and one day) after your previous upgrade...secondary lines can upgrade 18 months after their last upgrade

new practice is to assign a fixed upgrade date 18 months after last contract renewal no matter how much you spend

now this just refers to "standard" upgrades...early upgrades are taken on a case by case basis UNLESS it is an iphone which at&t will let you upgrade early after 6 months of being in your current contract and the price is 2 year upgrade price PLUS $250

I work for at&t btw ;)

15. blevins321 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for clarifying! :) Just wondering, is it normal though to change this mid-year for current contracts? No complaint here really..just makes me wait for the iPhone 5 ;)