AT&T Changes Terms of Service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrM, Aug 10, 2009.

1. MrM macrumors 6502

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/08...es-contract-to-prevent-class-action-lawsuits/

2. navajarunner macrumors regular

navajarunner

Sounds like a buncha bull. Just because they write it in there does not mean it can't happen.

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Since they changed their ToS, that means I can get out of my contract without paying the ETF!!!!

Not going to but still.

4. lavinci macrumors 6502

Haha, just say you want to sue for something random.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Can we file a class action against their anti-class action clause? ;)

6. cmaier macrumors G3

This is not a change in the ToS. This is merely someone rediscovering what was already there. Slow news day.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Exactly, AT&T doesn't get to say what your legal rights are.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ever done something like bungee jumping or paintball?

You can absolutely sign away your right to sue. They'll make you do it beforehand.

It doesn't count if there's an accident that's their fault, but if you shoot yourself in the eye, you signed a form saying it's not their fault.

Point being, you're wrong. You can sign a contract where you forfeit the right to sue under certain circumstances.

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Gee, why would AT&T ever think people would want to start a class action lawsuit against them? :rolleyes:

10. cmaier macrumors G3

Huh? That's what a contract is - an agreement to modify one's legal rights. If I contract to paint your house in exchange for money, I agree to give up my legal right to not paint your house, and you give up your legal right to not pay me for painting your house.

Contracts of all sorts regularly have clauses that, for example, state that laws of different states apply to the contract, that parties cannot sue and must seek arbitration, etc. Usually, these are upheld. There are exceptions, of course (contracts of adhesion, unconscionable terms, etc.)

11. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Under certain circumstances, you're right. However, the class-action lawsuits regarding early termination fees in California demonstrate that the judge has the option to throw out such clauses in contracts for certain reasons (eg. if they are deemed to be unconscionable) and choose to hear the case anyway.

12. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

This is true. The notice of this change was in my April/May bill and I'm guessing it was the same for most people, putting it well beyond the 30 days you have to refuse a TOS change and get out of the contract without paying the ETF at this point...

13. musicmax macrumors member

Ask the Indiana state employees retirement fund how much "it's all there in black and white" counts for these days...