AT&T charges $0.50 for Any Message Over 300KB! [edit: False]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mongoos150, Jul 3, 2007.

1. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Thread source, confirmed by bloggers contacting AT&T: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4858903#4858903

This is outrageous, and explains why Wifi will not function when out of cellular coverage areas. Although probably not a regular occurance to send messages this large, if Apple updates iPhone firmware to support file browsing (and we wanted to send decent sized attachments, which I do regularly), we'll be charged up the @ss to use such functionality. This, coupled with other unfortunate shortcomings of the iPhone (and my inability for the device to properly interface with any of my POP email servers) has driven me to return the iPhone. It's a shame, I don't want to return it, I love it! However there are too many small things which are giving me buyers remorse. Here's to hoping the next iPod will be an iPhone (sans phone) - because the non-phone/email functionality of the device is rockin'.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Hmm... I'll have to look at the pictures I have been emailing.

4. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I think that's baloney... I never had trouble e-mailing 1 MB files on my old Cingular fone.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It's posted more than once in the Terms on AT&T's site.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You should always read the small print........;)

7. Furgster macrumors 6502

Furgster

ya, i have been emailing all of the photos i have taken and i think that those are somewhere around 600 KB not sure though. but that still sounds crazy

8. Furgster macrumors 6502

Furgster

show us

9. dr_lha macrumors 68000

This charge is only for MMS messages over 300kB. As the iPhone can't actually send MMS messages its kind of moot! It doesn't apply to email.

10. kalamus macrumors member

Quote from the Apple Discussion Thread

"I was just on the phone with ATT (changing my monthly minutes).

They said they are 100 percent sure there are no additional charges for email - no matter how big they are. The woman I spoke to said the fine print has to do with SMS and MMS messages (which the iPhone doesn't support) - but NOT email.

So it sounds like we have some conflicting information."

Seems as if we dont know for sure yet. It may only apply to SMS and MMS. Sounds ridiculous to charge for an e-mail. I mean you regularly download videos on YouTube that are more then 300k. It doesnt make any sense at all. This may be some fine print crap from previous plans.

11. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yes, I knew that I was right.

E-mail sizes don't matter. SMS message sizes do.

12. Furgster macrumors 6502

Furgster

its true!

13. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I just checked my out box in gmail (on the computer)- the picture I just took and emailed from my phone was about 56k. I also emailed a picture that was synced from iTunes (an older picture that was in iPhoto) which, on my computer, is around a 5 meg file. Thankfully, iTunes converts a bit before syncing, and the file size on my phone was around 100k. Nice!

14. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

We knew that the iPhone was just too awesome, don't we? :)

15. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

Premium messaging is MMS. Data Plan is what supports your email and web browsing. I am sticking with Princealfie and saying.... Baloney!

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

That has nothing to do with email. Thats phone-to-phone messaging.

Seriously people...

17. docc macrumors 6502

Oh for heavens sake! Do you really think ATT is going to shoot iself in the foot by charging for emails (even if above 300 Kb)?!?! Its for MMS, MMS, MMS!

18. JLatte macrumors 6502

Let's not be too hasty... As someone mentioned on that linked thread, it might just apply to SMS or MMS messages which doesn't concern us anyways. Besides, I don't think this is valid because I am on a pre-paid plan and get a text message for every time I make a call or get charged, and it shows me how much each call costs, and I NEVER get charged for huge emails or browsing, I'm talking about emails with at least 10 high quality images in them. This is over both EDGE and WiFi.

I'm pretty sure that if it were true, I would get that pop-up indicating that I was charged $0.50.

19. Dermot81 macrumors member

op should update initial post so as to not mislead anyone

20. Tom Castle macrumors newbie

Note: I work for ATT (formerly Bellsouth)

Premium messaging is SMS and MMS. Messaging has absolutely NOTHING to do with your data plan.

Emails are covered by your data plan and not your messaging plan. Thats pretty much why they're designated differently on your bill.

21. kalamus macrumors member

/agree

22. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Another mystery solved! Honestly, I don't see why anyone would have thought otherwise.

23. cdinca macrumors 6502

no wonder no photo over mms...

That clears up why iPhone won't send photos over MMS...

No one would read the fine print, and everyone would get stuck paying 50 cents per photo they sent.

Image the uproar!

24. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Thanks for updating this. It's for MMS only.

But on the bright side, this being included in the iPhone terms means that MMS is planned! :D

25. mongoos150 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Excellent - very glad. Thanks for clearing it up! On another bright note, my iPhone email has been working... and I think I'm going to keep 'er. :D