AT&T Charges A Fee For Getting A Discount

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickrinaldi, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Here's a $5 off coupon but its going to cost you $4 to receive it.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yeah, they finally get caught for doing something for only a week.....lol :p:p:p

3. samcraig macrumors P6

While it is odd they charge a fee to add a FAN code - you still need to do that math. I save about $10-12 a month using my company's code. That means in the long run I will still save a nice little nut. So if it washes after 2-3 months, while it stings and isn't the most customer friendly - still advantageous to add.

4. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Sorry but this is old news. This policy has been active since June 28, 2009 and it does not apply to all FANs. Each contract is different.

AT&T is slow to respond to abuse but in the end the average customer is the one that gets to suffer for those that abuse the system.

Dave

5. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Dirty pool Mr.

Boy ATT just doesn't give up in trying to be the biggest turd on the block. Its been a horrific few months for them.
    Killed Google Voice
    Suing Verizon over reliability slogan
    Charging a fee for a DISCOUNT

It may balance itself out but have you ever in your life bought a coupon . I'm so debating whether to pay the fee to leave ATT and sign up to the other devils or wait it out until DEC next year to get out this contract and look and evaluate the scene to see if any type of reform will take place for ATT.

PS Nothing pisses me off more than someone stating something is OLD. God why even comment on it if its old to YOU.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

It's all in the packaging. Perhaps not exactly the same thing, but you buy discounted gym memberships, you can pay for amazon's prime to get free shipping. There are a lot of places you "pay" to get something free or discounted. It's just in the way it's marketed that seems more palatable than this instance.

Say what you want about ATT or any wireless company. They don't even compare to what the airlines are doing as far as charges. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

7. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

It's called an activation fee, every cell carrier charges them.

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I believe you misunderstood the fee that the OP was talking about. It's a $36 fee when you add a FAN (discount) to your AT&T account beyond your 30-day period from activation (or upgrade).

9. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I've bought hundreds of coupons. Mainly some such deals like paying $25 for a $50 gift card to a restaurant or a packet of discounted movie tickets (so you pay $50 for a packet of 10 tickets making it $5 a ticket instead of the normal 9 or 10, etc.)

It's foolish to think this practice is poor, particularly if you're in a contract, and considering they'll not know if your FAN code is invalid...

10. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

No, this practice is poor. And how does ATT not knowing whether your FAN code is valid or not mean your should be charged $36?

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It will only be added if it's valid and they will only added once they verify your identity and whether or not you actually work at/go to the specified employment/school.

Once it's added they will charge you a $36 fee. Of course some FAN accounts have offers that say they don't charge activation, upgrade, etc. fees, so it's possible to not get hit with the $36 fee.

12. BigKyle macrumors member

Guys, before you get all Hot and Bothered..

First off the guy who said its called an activation fee....ummmmmmmmm, NO!

Second,

They charge the 36$ if you put it on in the middle of you contract...

If you do an upgrade or a new line and add it on then, the fee is waived...

atleast in the store here, we dont have that many issues with it...

I mean the cheapest iphone plan is $90 a month(if you txt), most discounts are 15% or higher you do the math...

But look at the people who has 5 family lines, 3 of them iphones, unlimited txt... you could easily pay that $36 off in 2 if not 1 bills... then the rest of your 22 months is savings, no?

(im an att mobility sales rep by the way!)

13. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

The thing for me is I just added it Monday and my contract started on the release of the 3gs so I was only few days past the deadline. On top of that my discount is only 8% so I'm basically in the red for the next 5 or 6 months.

14. Resist macrumors 68030

I can't wait until other carriers get the iPhone, it will be AT&T's demise when we all jump ship for their crappy treatment.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

LOL. and I can't wait for the non-ending threads about how the other carriers suck too.

16. bbydon macrumors 6502a

They charged me for it $36 sponsor fee and $18 upgrade, when i created my fan.... I called and bitched about it.... They decided to waive the sponsor fee because it was new.
    It was BS

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Before you get all hot and bother… it's called cheating the customer by charging for discounts; the point of the FAN agreement is so customers save money by being attached to corporate accounts, but by charging a fee, it negates the discount; some people do not have 15% off; I recently moved from a lower discount to a higher discount which meant only 40¢ more off my bill—how do I recover the $36 over 2 years?

Imaging in order to get a $50 rebate you were charged $2000; that's pretty much what's the deal with my fee.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Now imagine that you elect NOT to sign up. There.. now you have no .40 cent discount (really... why even bother) and no up front fees. Problem solved.