AT&T Charges for FaceTime on Tiered?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by vt2067, Dec 25, 2012.

1. vt2067 macrumors newbie

I hope this is the right place for this thread.

If anybody else knows anything about this please fill me in. To my understanding AT&T recently enabled FaceTime over cellular for us with tiered data plans. I thought the idea though was that they didn't charge you data usage.

As my router is crap and they just recently enabled LTE in Richmond, VA here I thought I would switch off the wifi to FaceTime my friend and initially it was fantastic as I wasn't dealing with any of the usual call troubles that I get with FaceTime or skype or whatever.

But then I got the dreaded "you have used up 65% of your data plan" text and I thought WTF but I hung up and switched to wifi.

Is AT&T charging data use for FaceTime on non share plans?:mad:

2. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Whether you have a share plan or not - FaceTime over cellular counts against your data allocation. The whole issue before was that AT&T didn't allow you to use your data allocation for FaceTime over cellular at all - whether you wanted to or not. Apparently now you can - but of course it is going to count against your allocation.

I have a shared data plan and FaceTime over cellular counts against my data allocation as well.

3. vt2067 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh...so I just never understood right. Because when iOS6 came out and all of the carriers were announcing whether they would charge for FaceTime or not I guess I assumed that meant they would let you use FaceTime unlimited regardless of plan because I never understood how people could do things like FaceTime over limited plans, or for that matter anything streaming like Pandora or Spotify.

That's the problem we are moving in this direction of cloud based everything and streaming everything but plans are super limited. Ugh I should stop myself before I go off on a rant.