Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

essinger

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Apple doesn't have a 3G service network or even resell 3G service. Apple can't secure diddly because they don't provide it. The only way Apple could get a guarantee is if they offered to cover the costs.

Apple can secure the rate by contract with AT&T. If they were going to offer the rate as an inducement to purchase, they should have.

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
I wonder how many people will now scramble to purchase an iPad before the deadline, only to bump up the number sold so Steve can say "3 Million sold at WWDC", then after the dust settles AT&T rethinks their move and changes their tune Both Apple and AT&T reap from all of the new panic sales and subscriptions.

Sneaky move.

Let's see.................

fmaxwell

Nov 27, 2008
Actually they don't. Those folks were (or were planning to be ) hogs before. They are still hogs. They have just self identified themselves earlier than they would have. Anyone who is not planning to be hog will switch to the new plan because it saves them money . AT&T lowers the costs for 90+% of the users and have hundreds of posts about how this is a bad, evil, vile move. Surreal.

I am sick and tired of self-righteous people like you coming up with insulting names for everyone who has different needs and uses for their iPad, iPhone, etc. Some people bought the iPad in lieu of getting a traditional broadband connection at home. Others bought it because their work takes them to locations without personal use Internet wifi or ethernet. Quit trying to demonize everyone who needs, or chooses to use, more data thin you do.

essinger

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
You mean AT&T right? As much say as I'm sure Apple has in the daa rates and options, at the end of the day they're still just Apple. Until Apple decides to offer their own data plans, AT&T is to blame for this one.

No, I mean Apple. Apple sold the device advertising the rate as a reason to buy. Because you paid Apple money that establishes a duty by Apple towards you to guarantee that the product they sold you is useful in the way they advertised it.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Do you work for the ATT Propaganda Ministry? What you are saying is marketing gobbledegook. Either you work for ATT or you've been brainwashed.

I am not a bandwidth hog. I have a 3G and have not used 1kb of 3G data since I've activated on April 30. I've been 100% WiFi. However, I know when I go to the beach in July I will be using 3G. That was going to be the first time I flipped the 3G switch on and then 30 days later I'd turn it off until the next time I needed 3G.

ATT changed the equation though. Now I'll turn on 3G on Sunday, a month earlier than anticipated. Since I'm paying for the 3G service I'm damn well going to use it. I'll become a bandwidth hog, not because that is who I am, but that is who ATT made me become by forcing me to continually buy data I don't really want.

Now if ATT said that I could "grandfather" into the unlimited plan w/o having to re-up every month I would not re-up every month. I'd use the 3G when I needed it, and only then. A lot less bandwidth used, and isn't that what ATT's goal is? That isn't the case though. So 3G wasting will now be a way of life until I can establish I'd never need more than 2GB in any given 30 days. My guess is I'm pretty typical. The $15 plan is a joke. That is about what I use on my iPhone -- but I don't watch movies on my phone. That is the difference.

i've had an iphone 3GS for almost a year. for the first few months i only used a few hundred MB per month. then as a game i tried to use more just to get to 1GB. even streaming pandora for hours a day it was an effort to get to 1GB usage. to get to 2GB you probably have to sit around all day with no job and stream youtube or some other video site. or update your google reader feeds. if you have 1000 feeds like me and update twice a day over 3G it will suck up a lot of data. or if you run twitbird it will suck up a lot of data if you update and follow 2000 people or so.

but no normal person has enough time in the day to consume this much media so that if you do it then you're OCD. like some of the idiots downloading off p2p so much media that it's impossible to watch. just like the TV show hoarders except digitally.

or maybe AT&T is getting ready for multi-tasking and the amount of data that will suck up. but the nice thing about idevices is that you can cache a lot of data so just download everything via wifi first and then use 3G. Slasker Radio just came out with a new version of their app and now supports caching

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
There was no "bait" here. Nobody promised you the contract would be available forever. Folks read between the lines that was the case, but there was never said. Anyone who expects can terminate contract and then get exactly same terms later is not paying attention. That is not "bait and switch". That was always the downside of the limited time period of the contract. As soon as exit AT&T is not bound to keeping service/price constant ( they aren't anyway but even less so in that context). That is exactly why, in the general case, folks sign long time term price contracts to get stable terms. Folks want the long term stable terms without a contract. What????

That's what courts and lawyers are for.

The vast majority of iPad 3G owners were stunned that they got a whopping 5 weeks of "breakthrough deal" before a 250% hike in access fees. There are also many purchasers and potential purchasers waiting for stock on the 3G model based on such a promise.

This promise was a major selling point for the iPad 3G. I can say in my case it was the deciding factor to pay the additional money and wait another month over the wi-fi model.

I really have no issue with AT&T "capping" service. The problem is they capped the service without taking into account typical iPad usage and set the limits way too low. The other side of it is that they now see what typical iPad usage is like, and they want to kill the infant while it's still in the crib.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
This addresses less than one-half of the real question. Steve Jobs (and Apple) represented I could get on and off this plan whenever I wanted without penalty. That's why I waited for a 3G iPad rather than jumping on the WiFi only model. Now, if I do not auto-renew every month, I will lose my unlimited plan. That is clearly a deceptive trade practices act, so I think Apple and AT&T better quickly re-think what grandfathering pre 6/7 iPads will really mean! :mad:

That's everything I was thinking. Even though I did not jump on the 3G band wagon- if I had, I would be returning it to Apple.

Borderline bait and switch. Remember back when iPhone came out and they :apple: dropped the price w/in 30-60 days... people had a fit. Apple owned up and took care of it's early adopters right quick.

I really am confused on this change. Like you said, everyone has to guarantee 30/month continuous pay or else loose their eligibility. So much for paying when you need it.

I call complete BS, and furthermore I think something will change when apple starts to hear the screams of bait and switch.

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010

The vast majority of iPad 3G owners were stunned that they got a whopping 5 weeks of "breakthrough deal" before a 250% hike in access fees. There are also many purchasers and potential purchasers waiting for stock on the 3G model based on such a promise.

This promise was a major selling point for the iPad 3G. I can say in my case it was the deciding factor to pay the additional money and wait another month over the wi-fi model.

I really have no issue with AT&T "capping" service. The problem is they capped the service without taking into account typical iPad usage and set the limits way too low. The other side of it is that they now see what typical iPad usage is like, and they want to kill the infant while it's still in the crib.

\

Hey maybe they did this to kill the infant because they found out the iPad will be able to used on other networks? A middle finger to Apple?

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
I wonder how many people will now scramble to purchase an iPad before the deadline, only to bump up the number sold so Steve can say "3 Million sold at WWDC", then after the dust settles AT&T rethinks their move and changes their tune Both Apple and AT&T reap from all of the new panic sales and subscriptions.

Sneaky move.

Let's see.................

Where are all these magical devices? They are already sold out everywhere. How can they sell what they don't have?

The only way they can raise such a clamor is if AT&T and Apple announce that all iPads purchased before the cutoff are guaranteed the unlimited rate for the lifetime of the device.

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Well since the iPad is not locked into a long term contract, maybe Apple can get one of the other carriers to offer an even sweeter deal? If the other carriers are smart, they would offer an unlimted plan for $30 or less and reap from AT&T's maistake.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
The current low 200MB is simply a joke.

The 200MB plan gets you access to all of AT&T's hotspots. Not everyone wants to stand on some random street corner and use the iPad on 3G. For an iPad that spend 95% of its time within reach of a WiFI base station the 200MB plan makes sense. It also saves those users more money. How is that a joke in that context ?

The vast majority of users do not blow out their data ,text , and voice allocation every month.

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Where are all these magical devices? They are already sold out everywhere. How can they sell what they don't have?

The only way they can raise such a clamor is if AT&T and Apple announce that all iPads purchased before the cutoff are guaranteed the unlimited rate for the lifetime of the device.

Yes I meant a large number of iPads will be at least on order. I wonder if this deal will create a larger surge of ordering? I just informed my ex that if she wanted one with unlimted data she better order by Sunday. She has been wanting to get one and after seeing mine she plans too. Not sure she was ready to do so so soon though. I am just saying I wonder how much of this type of stuff is going on and will happen.

LEStudios

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
I say we need a legal interpretation!

I say we need to contact a law group and attorney general because AT&T gave only less that 7 day notice to the customers. I felt it would have been better to do at least a 30 day notice. Just look at their actions they may have been planning this a long time they up the rate on contract cancellation to $325. Like now if you was to leave because they did away with the unlimited data they will still make money on your way out. :mad:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Well since the iPad is not locked into a long term contract, maybe Apple can get one of the other carriers to offer an even sweeter deal? If the other carriers are smart, they would offer an unlimted plan for $30 or less and reap from AT&T's maistake.

The iPad uses GSM/UMTS, and thus only works on AT&T's 3G/2G networks. It will work on T-mobile's 2G network, but not 3G because T-mobile uses an odd frequency. So there are no other choices.

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
The 200MB plan gets you access to all of AT&T's hotspots. Not everyone wants to stand on some random street corner and use the iPad on 3G. For an iPad that spend 95% of its time within reach of a WiFI base station the 200MB plan makes sense. It also saves those users more money. How is that a joke in that context ?

The vast majority of users do not blow out their data ,text , and voice allocation every month.

For me, I'm not really finding a lot of these hot spots for the wifi. Not everyone who owns one eats at McDonalds and gets coffee at Starbucks. The only place I hit a wifi signal is at home, where I have other computers.

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
I say we need to contact a law group and attorney general because AT&T gave only less that 7 day notice to the customers. I felt it would have been better to do at least a 30 day notice. Just look at their actions they may have been planning this a long time they up the rate on contract cancellation to $325. Like now if you was to leave because they did away with the unlimited data they will still make money on your way out. :mad:

+1 on the lack of a better timeframe. Really less notice than 7 days because every day seems like something new is revealed. Like they are still trying to work it all out and wasn't ready for all of the "what if" questions.

Steffen1601

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
I talked and chatted with Apple sales support and they clearly stated that currently the unlimited plan needs to be activated by June 7. It is not enough to order the iPad. The message on Apple's website "Order by June 6 and you qualify for the unlimited plan" is clearly mis-information, unless AT & T will indeed make some modifications.

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Just curious, how would AT&T know the iPad was purchased before the deadline? Does anyone know that?

Fiction87

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
No, I mean Apple. Apple sold the device advertising the rate as a reason to buy. Because you paid Apple money that establishes a duty by Apple towards you to guarantee that the product they sold you is useful in the way they advertised it.

Everything that Apple advertised as being a feature of the product works as advertised. When it comes to data and rates, that also works as Apple advertised it, PROVIDED AT&T sticks to their service agreement terms. Data plans are a separate product offered by AT&T that iPad's make use of, the company you actually pay for service, not Apple.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Just curious, how would AT&T know the iPad was purchased before the deadline? Does anyone know that?

Dunno, but someone better start crapping out some info from Apple and AT&T. Today is the last business day before this goes into effect.

bpfesq

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
Omnipresent
For me, I'm not really finding a lot of these hot spots for the wifi. Not everyone who owns one eats at McDonalds and gets coffee at Starbucks. The only place I hit a wifi signal is at home, where I have other computers.

No kidding. I have yet to come across ONE SINGLE AT&T wifi hotspot. EVER.

Do you work for the ATT Propaganda Ministry? What you are saying is marketing gobbledegook. Either you work for ATT or you've been brainwashed.

+1000

Good lord, deconstruct60. You're doing a bang-up job of being the worlds best AT&T appologist/propaganda whore. I hope they're paying you well.

The iPad 3G has been out for ONE FRICKEN MONTH. Don't tell us how much data a majority of users utilize their iPads.

I think AT&T was probably suprised by the bandwidth used by iPad users and decided to reneg on their prior deal. Their system can't handle it. Period. That is why we need MORE CARRIERS. I hope Verizon or T-Mobile will get the iPad to spread it out a little. We need some competition here. I'm sick of AT&T changing terms and limiting service.

Now, go ahead Deconstruct, spew some more talking points for us... repeat your mantras for us:

"AT&T is a good company... Oooooommmmmmmmmmm... AT&T has good service... Oooooooooommmmmmmmmm... AT&T has not screwed anyone... Oooooooooommmmmmmmmm..."

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

The vast majority of iPad 3G owners were stunned that they got a whopping 5 weeks of "breakthrough deal" before a 250% hike in access fees.

Complete crock.

Everyone currently on a unlimited plan now has only to keep paying every month. 12 * $30 = $360 .... same as what a year would have cost before. So their annual cost is max $360.

If were going to save money by taking months off of 3G payments those costs $0.00 ... just as they did before.

A majority of users are likely down below 2 GB a month. So month costs is now $25 which is a 17% reduction in monthly costs. Not an increase, a reduction.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
I talked and chatted with Apple sales support and they clearly stated that currently the unlimited plan needs to be activated by June 7. It is not enough to order the iPad. The message on Apple's website "Order by June 6 and you qualify for the unlimited plan" is clearly mis-information, unless AT&T will indeed make some modifications.

This is the sense I've been getting too. Not good. Let us hope AT&T will be making modifications to accomodate those who purchase iPads before the June 7 deadline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.