AT&T Contract applied to unlocked iPhone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tennisdave, Oct 9, 2011.

1. tennisdave macrumors newbie

Anyone have any issues with AT&T on them placing you under a 2 year contract with no upgrade eligibility because you applied a corporate discount? I opened a month to month contract after winning an unlocked iPhone4 from my company. When I opened at the store they indicated it was month to month and I was eligible for upgrade pricing even if I applied a corporate discount once I got the number.

I later applied the corporate discount online. I guess this placed my account under a new two year contract and removed upgrade eligibility for new phones. I just noticed when checking eligibility for the iPhone 4S.

Has anyone had this problem before? The customer service rep I talked to on the phone apologized and offered me a $25 credit!! :mad:

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

ANY change to your contract re-ups you for two years. It is like a trap. You CAN add or subtract features but not make change to your contract.

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

Don't freak out. Simply call up Att corporate and tell them you brought your own phone and didn't ask for a 2 year contract since you weren't getting a subsidy...

4. tennisdave thread starter macrumors newbie

AT&T Corporate

I did call customer service and that's when they told me I couldn't get the upgrade and they "kindly" offered me a $25 credit towards the full retail price of $749

5. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Then ask for a manager and start being more forceful about it.

I brought my own phone to Att and the sales rep placed me in a 2-yr contract even though I told him I wanted month-to-month. I simply called up Att and demanded that I be taken off of a 2-yr contract since I brought my own device and they did that for me. As long as they didn't give you a subsidy on a phone then they have no reason to argue with you about this...

6. auero macrumors 65816

My experience was if you werent an AT&T customer and brought your own device you had to sign a contract, specifically iPhones. I'm not sure about other phones. I was told if I was a customer already then i could activate without a contract.

7. JustLeft macrumors 6502

I have made a number of changes to my contract, including adding a corporate discount, and never had my contract re-up'd. I think the issue is that you added an unlocked phone that was month to month. I have done this with a Nexus One that I had. I activated it at the AT&T store. They said the only way they could activate it was to set it up on a 2 year contract, wait a day, then change it to month to month. Took two days, but at the end of that time I was on a month to month contract.

I made sure the change was made as I would have cancelled the line within the 30 day window - why sign a 2 year contract for my own phone.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

No, this was an error at the retail store. By default the system adds the contract but the RSC just needs to click one item to reset the your account to no contract. Silly question: Did you bother to read what they asked you to sign for at the store?

The contract status should have been printed on your Customer Service Summary (CSS). You should go back to the same store if possibe to get this corrected. Just ask to speak to the Manager on Duty, explain your facts. It could have been an honest mistake or the RSC could have been trying to get credit for the new contract. :eek:

Since you provided your own device, you are correct you should be on a month-to-month (bring your own SIM) contract. The fact that you appled a Corporate discount (FAN) does not change your contract terms in any way.

Dave