AT&T Contract Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pharos, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Pharos macrumors member

Here's the thing:

My boss broke his old iPhone 3G, and he's eligible for the full discount for the iPhone 4 on October 22nd, just 10 days from now. However, he had to buy a new one right away because he's always on the go and relies heavily on emails, data, etc. He paid $400 for it.

Question:

- He has 30 days to return the device for a refund, right? If he returns it soon, will he be able to re-purchase an iPhone on the 22nd for the full discounted price? Also, will there be a restocking fee? I have heard mixed opinions about this one. Even if there is a restocking fee, would returning and then re-purchasing an iPhone still be cheaper?

Thanks guys! :cool:

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I believe AT&T does charge a 10% restocking fee, but I'm not 100% on this policy. Within 30 days, the moment you return the phone to the provider, you are immediately eligible to upgrade again with no waiting period (as long as your current bill is not pass due). So he can go in on the 22nd, return the phone and immediate turn around and buy the iPhone with a new 30 day return period.

The 10% restocking fee would really depend on how much he paid for his current phone, so its hard to say if its worth it or not.