AT&T contract question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IamFaustus, Jun 6, 2015.

1. IamFaustus macrumors member

I am hoping some of you can comment on an issue I having with my iPhone 5s.

I am on the FamilyTalk Nation 700 with Rollover and I have a FAN discount. There are five active lines. Two unlimited data plans, one data pro 3GB, and two dummy lines for yearly upgrades. I pay just under 220 a month after the discount.

The wife and I like like to get new phones each year. I am able to sell the old phones to cover the cost of the new phones. In the past this plan allowed me to unlock the 1 year old phones to sell.

I got the iPhones 6 when they came out and tried to unlock the old 5s phones but no luck this time.
    I did a chat this morning with ATT and the guy said both phones are still under contract until September.

I swear in the past the old phone contract was erased with the new phone contract. Is this not the case? Maybe I am mistaken but I was able to sell the 3gs, 4, 4s, and 5 after a year.

I am curious if other users have experienced the same thing.

Sorry if this isn't the right forum.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

How did you get a 6 on contract if you had 5s on contract and weren't eligible to upgrade yet since the 5s was still under contract?

3. IamFaustus thread starter macrumors member

The two dummy lines are eligible for upgrades. After upgrading those lines I have ATT switch the new phones to the two unlimited lines. In the past this overrides the previous phones contract.

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

If you used the same dummy line you've had the 5S to upgrade to 6, it should work as you mentioned. But right now they're shaking up 3rd party contract upgrades, not sure if that has something to do with it.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've heard in the past that they won't unlock phones that are on contract and perhaps they're getting more strict with it now, because AT&T is doing away with subsidized pricing/contracts. I'm in a similar boat as you, in that I may sell my IP6+ when the 6S comes out (the plus is just too big) and it would be better for me to get it unlocked by ATT but I'm kind of doubtful that will occur since I have a full year left on contract.