AT&T Contract question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by schatzie, May 21, 2008.

1. schatzie macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm doing some research for my new phone, and I'm thinking about the new BB Bold or the iPhone.

I would like to know is there a "grace period" to cancel the contract with AT&T and return the iPhone after you've purchased it? The reason why I ask is the most important thing to me is to be able to get my company's mail. I know for sure (as I'm using it now) that I can get my mails thru the BIS. But I really like the iPhone. I know the new one will support Microsoft Exchange, but you never know. Also my company is very strict in this aspect so the iPhone MS Exchange support might not work.

I don't want to buy it and end up not being able to use it, and of course, I can't try it out first before I buy one and start a contract. So that's why I'm wondering if AT&T gives you a period where you can cancel without any penalty.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I am almost positive it is 14 days with AT&T, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

There is a 30 day grace period for the contract and a 14 day for the iPhone, you'll most likely have to pay a restocking fee of 10%. Your local at&t store might have some refurbished phones.

4. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Yeah, that sounds right actually. 14 days for the iPhone, 30 for the contract. That's what I've always heard

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

AT&T's trial period:

Allow a trial period for new service. When a customer initiates service with a wireless carrier, the customer will be informed of and given a period of not less than 14 days to try out the service. The carrier will not impose an early termination fee if the customer cancels service within this period, provided that the customer complies with applicable return and/or exchange policies. Other charges, including airtime usage, may still apply.

This is right from their website:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/consumer-code.jsp

Hope this helps! :cool:

6. schatzie thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all.
    I found that policy you guys mentioned on their site. Should have looked harder before asking. Sorry.

Thanks!!!

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Nothing to be sorry about, your questions keep us on our toes, b/c we sometimes run into situations that we can't answer, as well. :cool: