AT&T Contract question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by medicrx, Jun 12, 2009.

1. medicrx macrumors newbie

I am a longtime Verizon customer and should note that I have been extremely happy with their service. I have always found them polite, pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful.

However, I have been craving an iphone since day one. I don't think I can wait any longer and will have to make the jump to AT&T.

Having said that, I am really nervous after reading all the horror stories on these forums which I have been reading for almost a year.

Some carriers, although they don't advertise it, will offer you a one year contract in exchange for paying a higher price for their phone. I am not talking about the unsubsidized price as they still partially subsidize, just not as much as a two year contract.

Does AT&T offer anything like this, besides the unsubsidized price? I was thinking maybe signing only for a year in case they suck really bad and I can't handle it.

2. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

AT&T does not do a one year contract in the case of the iPhone 3G/3GS, you are required to sign a two year contract. However, if after one year you do not like the service, you can pay an early termination fee to get out of the contract.

3. xyion1 macrumors regular

If you are worried about the service, I'd go in and purchase an iPhone without porting your number. Test it out for a week or so and then decide if it'll work. If you're happy, port over. If not, you don't have to deal with the headache of porting back to VZW as you never left!

I plan on doing this to test out different service providers at my new house to see which will actually work as advertised.

4. medicrx thread starter macrumors newbie

Do they have a 30 day escape clause? For example, with Verizon, if you are not happy withing the first 30 days of the new contract you can cancel it, with no penalties, return the equipment and as long as it is still in good condition, you only have to pay for the service that you used during those 30 days.

5. siufai macrumors member

yeah, but you may also have to pay a 10% restocking fee too