AT&T Contracts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DatzKray, Jul 19, 2017.

1. DatzKray macrumors member

iPhone 8 is coming upon us. It was rumored to start at $1100. Will ATT offer two year contracts again? Thats a lot to pay for a phone

2. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

No way AT&T will go back to the contracts and discount your new phone. The carriers are happy to be rid of it.

You need to start saving now.

4. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Start saving or just pay it off over a few years like you do now. If they went back to contracts they'd raise the monthly price of plans to cover the increase.

5. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

No, but that's why carriers and Apple offer device financing, so you don't have to fork that money out at once.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

There is not a chance any carrier brings back a 2-year contract. They are making more money with this structure.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not going to happen.
    T-Mobile might come out with a similar deal like last year where you upgrade by handing in your old iPhone and get bill credits towards the eip plan for 2 years.

8. phillytim, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

You bet they are. I'm still paying AT&T the same price (now $10 more, really) for my grandfathered unlimited data plan that I've had since 2009, even now that I'm newly off-contract (from my last one with 2015's iPhone 6s Plus) and nothing being subsidized at all (nor ever again, it appears).

AT&T is effectively making $20 extra from me a month now for nothing, compared to the normal $20 access fee it charges others without the grandfathered unlimited. In fact, if I got on to one of AT&T's standard plans, it would cost me the same $80/month for a 6Gb mobile share plan (with $20 access fee for one device) as it is with my current setup ($35 voice + $5 text + 40 unlimited data / access fee). And I'm not even using over 4Gb per month. Ridiculous.

I'm NEVER buying a phone directly through AT&T again. I'll only be purchasing a SIM-Free (or Verizon-capable) iPhone from Apple, and reminding AT&T that I'm a free agent and may leave them if I even simply roll out of the wrong side of bed one day.