AT&T coverage in NYC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Feb 11, 2011.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

U mean manhattan or the city of new York? Because I live in staten island so I would say it hasn't got much better but I always have coverage just not perfect coverage. and as for manhattan I'll be there tomorrow so I'll see.

3. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I've heard it's gotten better in Manhattan recently. A year ago it was almost unusable.

4. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Generally speaking, AT&T has definitely improved in NYC. I have an AT&T iPhone 4 and picked up a verizon model yesterday because I have a few "problem areas" where I do repeatedly get phone calls dropped and low signal. Low and behold, the verizon model barely got a signal in the same area, and kept switching between 1xRTT and 3G. And through and through, I find that AT&T 3G is significantly faster than Verizon when out and about, which has been reported everywhere.

Places I frequent for comparison:

UWS, hell's kitchen/central park south area, and Washington Heights. Also was on staten island yesterday and didn't discern a difference in signal quality near me and definitely saw the same speed difference.

5. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

It's spotty and unpredictable at best. Just to give you an idea, I was at my buddy's apt yesterday in Hell's Kitchen and he got full bars and 3G but in Soho, he barely got a signal and no 3G service.

6. taskmanager macrumors regular

I was in Manhattan a month ago. Service seems to have improved over 2 years ago. I would like to test verizon with my new one next time I'm out.

7. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Seems to be problem in SoHo?

8. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

The service in NYC has improved dramatically over the last 2 years. They are constantly adding new cell sites in Manhattan.