AT&T Coverage in NYC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fxscreamer, Oct 4, 2011.

1. fxscreamer macrumors member

For the iPhone 4 owners who live in NYC with AT&T, what's your coverage and reliability like? I'm in the Williamsburg / Bushwick area specifically, and ever since I moved here, my 3GS has been appalling to use. I sometimes completely miss calls, get texts and voicemails hours late, multiple dropped calls in a 20 minute conversation, and see my phone go into search mode all the time. My phone is well taken care of, and has been restored as a NEW phone multiple times. Day ONE of moving into this city, my phone started performing like crap, which was working wonderfully in the midwest for a year and a half.

With the iPhone 4 and the new 4S coming out, do the strengthened antennas give it Verizon like reliability? I'm wondering if it's just my phone. How are your dropped calls, data speeds, etc? Do iPhone 4 users still detest AT&T for crappy service?

Very curious, because I'm pre-ordering a 4S this Friday. I still have unlimited data with AT&T, and zillions of rollover minutes, surf and talk, so I like that already. I know Verizon is rock solid though. This is an important decision, because I also do some business, and almost lost money due to the 3GS's performance on AT&T's network.

Opinions? Thoughts?

2. nycbhh macrumors member

I had the worst and I do mean the WORST service when I was on AT&T. It was so bad that when I was at work (in the middle of lower Manhattan) I couldn't get a signal until I was outside of my building. And even then, my 3G data signal was slower than dial-up back in the day. No exagerating. It wouild take me at least 3 minutes to load a single webpage. I got so fed up with it I got an EVO and went with Sprint the moment by contract with AT&T was up. My service has been great ever since with really fast 4G speeds. I'm a bit worried that might change now that the iphone in on Sprint as well. As far as coverage, with Sprint you roam on Verizon for free when you don't get a Sprint signal, so you basically have the Verizon blanket of coverage at Sprint's much lower price.

3. fxscreamer thread starter macrumors member

Question is, how long ago, and what phone were you using? 2009 was a VERY bad year for AT&T in NYC, but 2010 got a little better, all the way until now. I guess I'm wondering if my phone is really the problem here.

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I've heard that AT&T coverage in NYC has gotten better.

5. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Technically yes. I can connect occasionally better, and get about 2-5k/s, whereas before, it would pretend to connect and do nothing. And I only see call failed about 2-3 times a day now rather than 5-6

6. fxscreamer thread starter macrumors member

I just talked to my roommate who has an iPhone 4 AT&T and just moved here a month ago, also from the midwest with great service. They said they've had no major problems since being here, receive all their calls and texts, and get decent reliability and data speeds.

Something we discussed though that raised a question:....does your location determine a tier on cell phone networks? Example, do I have to be in an area long enough in order for the cell network to know my IMEI identified phone is bumped to a higher priority (better service, coverage, etc). It's like the locals get the better service, visitors get on 2nd. Is this true? (if I renew AT&T, it'll be registered with a NYC zip code).

7. NYRangers11 macrumors member

I currently have a blackberry 9700 on ATT and I am so fed up with my internet connection from noon till about 4pm. I sit at work and i cannot browse any webpages on my phone. It constantly goes from 3G to Edge.

I would assume that with the iPhone it will still be the same. I am thinking of getting the iPhone 4s as my next phone and I'm not sure which service provider to pick. The only advantage of keeping ATT is that i am grandfathered in the unlimited internet.

Besides the problems with internet, I personally never had a problem with dropped calls or dead zones.

NYC users chime in....

8. JMC08 macrumors regular

AT&T has all-around awful service.....in NYC, in other major cities, in movie theaters, in basements.

Do not give AT&T your business.

9. cityathrt macrumors regular

Granted I have a Blackberry Bold, but I'm on AT&T and I LOATHE it. I can't wait to get my hands on a 4s, and switch to Verizon. I can't tell you how many calls I've dialed someone, put the phone up to my ear, only to have the phone make the obnoxious "call failed" noise, thereby temporarily deafening me, even though I have five bars. Data is slow and unreliable, and I hate the handset all around. I only wish my company would get it faster so I could upgrade.. sigh.