AT+T coverage with iphone in Northeast Ohio

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by epbdo, Jun 20, 2010.

1. epbdo macrumors newbie

Well, I've been with Verizon (Alltel previously) for some time now, but am reluctantly thinking of moving to AT+T for iphone 4. I've actually ordered it, but am still hesitant about activating it and breaking contract with Verizon for the switch. I don't think I can hold out any longer for Verizon iphone since there are so many great medical apps that I need to use that are not available on Android. I've never had a dropped call or coverage issues with Verizon, even when traveling. All I hear are complaints about AT+T coverage. So, I'm interested in hearing any complaints or compliments of AT+T service in Northeast OH, as well as abroad while traveling the US. How worried should I be regarding spotty coverage if I really do make the switch???
    Thanks!

2. warwithwords macrumors newbie

It really depends where you're talking about in Northeast Ohio. I have found that Cleveland and the suburbs have excellent 3G coverage, though I've gotten my share of dropped calls (maybe 4-5 a month?). Coverage gets shaky when you venture into more rural areas; there's a fairly large swath south of Elyria with no coverage at all.

There are obviously small pockets of no service (more common to data than voice) throghout the metro area, but all in all, you get 3G mostly everywhere. Of course there is Edge as a backup in the more sparsely populated areas.

As for speed, well, sometimes I turn my Time Warner wi-fi off because 3G is faster. :/

You're right that ATT is a huge pain, but the iPhone makes it all worth it.

3. geneticfusion macrumors member

I get good 3G coverage in Warren, though there is like this big strip of Rt. 46 that doesn't have 3G, then it picks back up again.

4. mcorf macrumors member

5. pirateRACE macrumors 6502

I'd advise you to get a new iPhone with a new number. AT&T/Apple offer you to use an iPhone for 72 hours and if you aren't happy, bring it back and you don't owe a dime. You can also use it for 30 days and only owe for your usage for the month. If you port your number over now and then cancel, you will lose your number. You can always port it later if you decide you like the service.

I'm in the southeastern suburbs and have always had great service.

6. Tilt macrumors member

+1

I work in cleveland live in Chardon. Up near the freeway from chardon I get 3g all the way to cleveland, otherwise at home I use wifi when running apps/browsing. Edge is primarily only thing around in Chardon. Drive around Mentor and such 3g is excellent.
    Don't plan on using edge for anything other than calls. It's painful trying to surf on edge.

7. warwithwords macrumors newbie

+1
    Just give it a rigorous test for a few days. I think most of us are saying that you really have to try to not get 3G coverage mostly around Cleveland.

Another dead spot that came to mind is between Cleveland and Youngstown, but it's fairly brief. Edge nearly all the way though :/

8. tehreflex macrumors 6502

I live in Vermilion and only get the Edge network. Once I get near Baumhart Rd. I hit 3G.

So basically from Amherst east I get 3G coverage. I don't think Oberlin has 3G.

9. OSU08 macrumors newbie

I have been looking into the same thing. I'm not going with a trial period because anything I get will be better than T-Mobile. My boss has had AT&T for years and he says it's good. We work downtown and it's perfect. He lives on the South Side and he says it's good all the way down 71.

I'll be at Legacy Village Thursday morning.

10. zanzibar321 macrumors newbie

11. conan-kun macrumors regular

I live in Kent and my mother lives in Mentor. At Kent it's hit or miss. Some parts I get almost no service and then in other areas I get all bars. In Mentor, my mother lives near Mentor on the Lake and the service isn't very good closer to the lake but in the main part of Mentor it's great.

So as everyone said, NE Ohio coverage is pretty hit and miss. Service is great in the main centers of cities and on the main interstates, but not so good in other areas.

I will also be at Legacy Village early Thursday morning. :)

12. epbdo thread starter macrumors newbie

Broadview Heights, Medina and Edge network?

Thanks for all the great info. I'm also curious about the Broadview Heights area, and down around the Medina area, especially around the Medina Hospital area? I'll be commuting between Cleveland, Broadview Heights, Brunswick and Medina so want to make sure I can at least get an adequate signal for phone calls, if not 3G. Also, I've heard about the Edge network (in a bad way:)) and was wondering if the signal is still ok for talking even though poor for 3G? I'm definitely planning on trying it first before I port my number.

13. ihonda macrumors 68000

small world! :p

will either of you be @ BB on 422? im first on the list thursday..

14. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I live in central Ohio, but have gone around to different parts of the state, and I think the overall service for voice isn't that bad at all. 3G is different though. There are a few 3g dead spots, but they are usually pretty brief. I usually find them when I'm listening to pandora in my car. All in all, I'd say youll probably be OK unless your pretty rural.

15. xcrunner macrumors regular

No 3G in most of cortland though, despite what AT&T's lame maps say. And if I'm not mistaken, the only reason we have it in Warren is thanks to Cellular One.

16. Tilt macrumors member

I switched from T-mobile last September which I have had an account with them for 8 years. My wife and i both got black berry flips in T-mobile but at the clinic downtown she could never get a signal not even to text or phone call out. We've have had a few more drop calls with AT&T but overall coverage is better for us.

17. blasius01 macrumors newbie

I live in Medina close to Brunswick... 3g is very hit or miss but i always have cell service.... When i head into Valley City - Grafton area is when it gets sketchy ....hope this helps