AT&T Cracking Down - iPhone 3G Users Currently on Other Plans Be Warned

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aok1975, Apr 8, 2009.

1. aok1975 macrumors 6502

2. kits macrumors member

It happened to me few days back. I am forced to change from $15 Unlimited Data Plan to $30 iPhone plan even though I didn't buy it at discounted price with contract. It didn't make sense why they do this to only iPhone. You can get phones like Samsung Impression with 3.2" touch screen phones with GPS, etc for FREE with contract and no data plan whatsoever.

To me paying $15 more makes sense only if you got iPhone at discounted price. So, be careful before you grab iPhone at full price thinking you can get away paying only $15/month for unlimited data.

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if you do everything the legal way... i don't see why you would be upset paying the ACTUAL cost of the iPhone every month.

4. kits macrumors member

I thought the reason AT&T is charging iPhone owners $30 for data plan is because they sold the iPhone at discounted price. They can recoupe the cost of the phone by milking $15 extra on the data plan.

Anyway, if I start to like the iPhone I will eventually grab the new iPhone in June at discounted price and then I won't worry about having to pay $30 for the data plan. It just hurts the pocket to pay full price for the iPhone and then pay what everyone who got the phone at fraction the cost are paying on monthly plans. I am eligible for contract extension but didn't want to trap myself into another 2-years of contract when I can see some really cool phones coming in June.

I wish the carriers discount the plans for customers who buy their own phones. This way they can also help in "Going Green" cause as well as customers don't have to trash their old working phones just because they can grab another one for free.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The reason they charge $30 is because thats what they charge for data on all other 3G devices and blackberry phones.
    It doesnt have to do with discounts, its how much most companys charge for 3G wireless data. And we all know the iphone uses up alot of data.

6. calvy macrumors 65816

No. that's the reason they sell the iPhone itself at 199/299 price points.

7. kits macrumors member

You can get several AT&T 3G phones for $15 data plan. For example, Samsung Eternity, the new Samsung Impressions, etc. Maybe, because they are not classified as smartphones but with their screens and apps, you can suck as much data as iPhone or any smartphone.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

I wish AT&T would include unlimited Text messaging in the data plan. I bet if they did, more people would stay with them.

9. kits macrumors member

You made me check the data plan rates of Tmobile and to my surprise they only charge $24.99 for unlimited data and 400 messages plan on G1. That will be sweet on AT&T.

10. jeremykyle macrumors regular

Agreed 100%

11. eddietr macrumors 6502a

In theory, yes. But all the studies seem to show that in reality BB and iPhone users actually use far more data on average than users of other devices. And in fact the iPhone now even more than BB.

I would agree, though, that text messages really should be included in the $30.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I guess thats probably why.

13. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

*another one bites the dust*

I guess they want their money. :p

14. spikedfo macrumors regular

Agree. :D

15. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

16. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i think AT&T bothers everyone.

17. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Wow..thx for the info. Thats a great price. If I don't get an iphone, I might get the htc magic. I have sampled the g1. it is a nice fone but kind of bulky and possibly fragile due to the keyboard.

18. boleiro macrumors newbie

I have the iphone on Tmobile and I only pay $20 for Ulimited data and unlimited texts. Of course, this isn't 3g data though. One of these days I'll swap to AT&T, but with only a $70 total monthly bill on tmobile, it will take some persuading.

19. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Let's clear up a few things. AT&T does not charge $30 for 3G data, plain and simple. AT&T charges $30 for smartphones, since they typically use far more data than a non-smartphone. What service your connect to means nothing.

Windows Mobile phones, palm, blackberry and iphones all get charged $30 a month for data. The blackberries are mixed with almost all phones edge only and the bold finally offering 3g speed. They still pay $30, one way or another.

It's been like this for a long long time.

The first time around, iphone users were simple placed on the cheaper flip phone internet plan of $20 a month because they all paid full price for the phone with no subsidy. It was an introductory price to get us all to buy the phone and get it in consumers hands.

Times are different now. It's treat like every other blackberry or palm phone in there line up.

20. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Seriously....Why wouldn't they...I circumvent the whole thing by sending text messages to my friends via email anyways. When they respond, it shows up in my email inbox. I can send unlimited emails, but I'm limited to 200 txt messages. That sure makes sense.....

21. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Oh please, that's nothing. Here in Canada, we pay at least $60-90 per month for the iPhone, and Rogers forces you into a 3-year contract and charges you $200-400 for the iPhone on top of that!

So, if you hate AT&T, imagine how much we hate Rogers here in Canada.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

eh, I have a $65 monthly bill with unlimited data and 200 texts (more than I need) with my 2G iphone on AT&T. You'll likely pay more for 3G with any company, but I don't think tmobile's plans are as great a deal as people make them out to be.

23. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The significant difference is, according to the terms of service, it is permissible to opt out of the unlimited data option and start using pay-per-use data (or even shut off data entirely) on every other phone, smart- or otherwise. This is not permissible with the iPhone, and AT&T uniquely singles it out in that respect.

24. GenNovE macrumors member

+
    30.00 UNLIMITED 3G DATA
    +
    5.00 200 TEXT MESSAGES.
    ---------------
    85.45 MONTHLY.
    +
    2.95 unlimited skype.
    I use aim to send free text messages and use beejive all the time.

88.40 a month.

Tmobile cant beat my plan.

goosnarrggh that is not true.

A couple of months ago I simply called ATT told to take off data and text messaging of my iphone plan
    and they handled it with ease. If requested they will remove the services.

Like 2 months ago i re-added data and text messaging without a problem.

25. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

FamilyTalk Nation 500 Rollover & Unlimited Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-To-Mobile Minutes

Anytime Minutes 500 $38.25
    Additional Line $14.99
    Unlimited Messaging for Families $30.00
    3G Data Plan x2 $50.00

TOTAL= WAY TO FRIGGIN MUCH :eek: $133.24

This is for 1 3G and 1 Classic iPhone.