AT&T Custom Number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blaunerts, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Blaunerts macrumors regular

Blaunerts

Hi, I am getting the iPhone 3G on Friday, and setting up a new LINE (not account) and I was wondering if I can PICK my own number (I know its not in service right now) Can I?

I hope I could..would be great! ;)

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

When I added a line to my account I was able to select form a short list, but I don't know about picking your own. Worth a shot though!

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Unless that number is in the range of assigned ATT numbers, it won't happen. Even of it is, I've never heard of anyone picking their own number.

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

From what I remember, AT&T doesnt offer Vanity Numbers anymore. You could all them and find out.

5. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Unless they've changed their policy, you can't pick the full phone number..

You can choose the area code and I believe you can pick the first 3 numbers and they bring up a list that you can choose from..

Your best bet is when in a store tell them you want to choose your number, and probably the best they can do is say:

do you want xxx-yyyy?
    no
    do you want xxx-yzyx?
    no
    do you want xxx-byba?

etc, etc..

6. Blaunerts thread starter macrumors regular

Blaunerts

Oh thanks! If I can't get the number that I like then I might as well keep my current number

7. Aydo macrumors newbie

actually they gave a long list of numbers when I got mine years ago it is and I won't give out my number 58x-xyy7, x's being the same number and y's being the same number as well. That was years ago so I don't know now.

8. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

When I got a local number with AT&T after moving home, I remember trying to get back my old number from before college (which my Dad, for whatever reason, was still paying for).

Since they couldn't transfer that number to my own account (something to do with that a number has to be dormant for a given period of time after disconnected), the AT&T guy did offer me a number with the same first three digits.

So if a family member/significant other/etc. is with AT&T, that's a good place to start.