AT&T Customer Service Reps Are Dumb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SpaceKitty, Dec 10, 2008.

1. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I called AT&T today to find out why when someone called my number, they got a message saying this wasn't a valid phone number.

The lady tells me to turn off the phone. Ok no problem here right? Right.

Take out the battery and read her the IMEI number. Um ok, one problem here, it's an iPhone and well.....you know.

I didn't tell her this though of course it's on the account. I quietly turn on the phone and go to settings/general/about and read her the IMEI number.

I wonder how many people who own iPhones are instructed to remove the battery so they can read the IMEI number? :eek:

Anyways, the problem was on my end, forwarding the phone to another number that was no longer working and I forgot all about it. :eek:

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Wait, so who's the dumb one?

3. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

LOL that's why I typed the :eek:

I had forgotten it was being forwarded to another number because I got so bored with the iPhone that I hadn't used it in a few months. I was using my BlackBerry.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

So an AT&T service rep, who probably deals with crap on a bazillion different kinds of phones from a million annoying customers daily, either doesn't know or forgets that the iPhone doesn't have a user-replaceable battery. I don't call that dumb. I call that someone expected to know way too much for $13/hour.

5. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

But they are supposed to know just for such an occasion when someone is having trouble with a phone. Especially for $13 an hour, if that's what they get.

6. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Gotta love it...a stupid customer complaining about a stupid employee and then admitting he was stupid on a public forum. :rolleyes:

7. icewing macrumors 6502

:confused: Someone has way too much time and disposable income! :eek:

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

AT&T customer service doesn't know which phone your using unless you tell them.

Just because you have the iPhone data plan on your account, doesn't mean you are using the iPhone at that particular time. By your own admission, you apparently switch between the Blackberry and iPhone.

It's up to you to tell them which phone you are using. If you can't figure it out by yourself, I'm sure the the rep could comb through your account trying to find out your last purchase.

However, that's not really reasonable is it? It's not as if you call AT&T and it pops up on their screen: "ALERT: iPhone USER!"

Additionally, at least for the 1G iPhone —*the "iPhone data plan" showed up in AT&T's computers as MediaNet something something with "-iPhone" tacked on the end. So, it's not as simple as you might think.

Cut the rep some slack, you're the one who failed to mention which device you own. She was giving you general advice that applies to 99 percent of the phones out there. She can't read your mind.

There are plenty of legit AT&T customer service horror stories. There's no need to try to make something out of nothing.

9. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

BURNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D